1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block sliding up a ramp.

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block with mass m = 24.6 kg slides down an inclined plane of slope angle 38.4 o with a constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed 4.90 m/s. How far up the incline will the block move before coming to rest?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have little idea what to do on this problem. If someone could give me some leading questions or an applicable equation it'd be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why constant velocity?

Hi ohhi! (Or is it Yippee-i ohhi?)

At first I thought you'd got the question wrong, because how could it possibly slide down with a constant velocity?

Then I saw the light! Sometimes one has to be able to see the difference between a problem and a solution!

So: Hint: How can it slide down with a constant velocity? :smile:
  4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I actually realized and got that. I just came back to say I found the answer. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?