Block Tension and Friction Question

In summary: I sure am. Combine those three equations I posted and you'll get the right answer.ok. and btw who is this? are you going to u of c? physics 211 or 221?. the anser i got was 32 but i dunt think that's right. I used the 1st and 2nd equations to get T1 and T3 and plugged them into the 2nd equation. can u tell me wat i did wrong?ok now i got 8.2 as in answer. is that right?
candykane91

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block in figure and the table is 0.350.

What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

F=uK*Force Normal
Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the mass's of both the hanging and used them to calculate a net force on the block in the center and then solved for acceleration that way. Here's my work.

3kg*9.8=29.4N Right Side Tension
1kg*9.8=9.8N Left Side Tension
2kg*9.8=19.6N Force Normal

F=.35*19.6N
6.86N

(29.4N-6.86N)-9.8N=2kg*acceleration

a=6.34m/s^2

and it turns out this is wrong please help me out thank you!

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15777&d=1223407287

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

candykane91 said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block in figure and the table is 0.350.

What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

F=uK*Force Normal
Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the mass's of both the hanging and used them to calculate a net force on the block in the center and then solved for acceleration that way. Here's my work.

3kg*9.8=29.4N Right Side Tension
1kg*9.8=9.8N Left Side Tension
you are assuming that the tension is equal to the weight. That is true only if the system is not accelearting. This one is accelerating, so you must use free body diagrams of each block and apply Newton's 2nd and 3rd law.
2kg*9.8=19.6N Force Normal

F=.35*19.6N
6.86N
OK
(29.4N-6.86N)-9.8N=2kg*acceleration

a=6.34m/s^2

and it turns out this is wrong please help me out thank you!
isolate each block and solve 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

I've got the same question.

I've got these three equations:

m1*a = T1 - m1*g
m2*a = T3 - T1 - μ*m2*g
m3*a = m3*g - T3

Are those right? Solving for a using the first and second equations a=(g(m3-m1))/(m3+m1) which gives a=4.9 which would be the acceleration of the system if the centre mass wasn't there.

Using that value in the net force equation Fnet = m3(g-a) - m1(g+a) - μ*m2*g gives Fnet=6.86. Solving Fnet=ma for a gives you a=3.43 which is not right the right answer.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Thanks!

jmm said:

m1*a = T1 - m1*g
m2*a = T3 - T1 - μ*m2*g
m3*a = m3*g - T3

Are those right?
Looks OK, although the acceleration is likely to be in the other direction.
Solving for a using the first and second equations a=(g(m3-m1))/(m3+m1)
looks like you canceled out T1 and T3, in error, using equations 1 and 3. T1 and T3 are not equal
which gives a=4.9 which would be the acceleration of the system if the centre mass wasn't there.
This is not true. Correct your method of solving the 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

jmm said:

m1*a = T1 - m1*g
m2*a = T3 - T1 - μ*m2*g
m3*a = m3*g - T3

Are those right? Solving for a using the first and second equations a=(g(m3-m1))/(m3+m1) which gives a=4.9 which would be the acceleration of the system if the centre mass wasn't there.

Using that value in the net force equation Fnet = m3(g-a) - m1(g+a) - μ*m2*g gives Fnet=6.86. Solving Fnet=ma for a gives you a=3.43 which is not right the right answer.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Thanks!

are you by any chance doing mastering physics?

PhanthomJay said:
Looks OK, although the acceleration is likely to be in the other direction. looks like you canceled out T1 and T3, in error, using equations 1 and 3. T1 and T3 are not equal This is not true. Correct your method of solving the 3 equations with 3 unknowns.
Ahh you're a life saver. Thanks a bundle!

candykane91 said:
are you by any chance doing mastering physics?
I sure am. Combine those three equations I posted and you'll get the right answer.

jmm said:
Ahh you're a life saver. Thanks a bundle!I sure am. Combine those three equations I posted and you'll get the right answer.

ok. and btw who is this? are you going to u of c? physics 211 or 221?. the anser i got was 32 but i dunt think that's right. I used the 1st and 2nd equations to get T1 and T3 and plugged them into the 2nd equation. can u tell me wat i did wrong?

Last edited:
ok now i got 8.2 as in answer. is that right?

What is block tension and friction?

Block tension and friction refer to the forces exerted on a block that is in contact with another surface or object. Tension is the pulling force that is applied to the block, while friction is the resistance to motion between the block and the surface it is in contact with.

How do block tension and friction affect the motion of a block?

The presence of block tension and friction can either increase or decrease the motion of a block. If the tension force is greater than the friction force, the block will accelerate in the direction of the tension force. If the friction force is greater than the tension force, the block will either move at a constant speed or decelerate.

What factors affect block tension and friction?

The amount of tension and friction on a block can be influenced by several factors, including the mass of the block, the roughness of the surface it is in contact with, and the angle at which the block is pulled or pushed. The type of material of the block and the surface can also affect the level of tension and friction.

How can block tension and friction be measured?

Block tension and friction can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The tension force can be measured by attaching the scale or sensor to the object pulling the block, while the friction force can be measured by attaching it to the block itself. The readings from the scale or sensor can then be recorded and compared.

What are some real-world applications of block tension and friction?

Block tension and friction play a significant role in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and using tools. They are also crucial in engineering and construction, as they can affect the stability and durability of structures and machines. Additionally, understanding block tension and friction is essential in sports, as it can impact the performance of athletes and the movement of equipment.