Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block Universe

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    What does Special Relativity imply about past, present, and future time? So, here on earth, what can be said about our understanding of past, present, and future actions? Within the same reference frame, is time static? Is it ordered?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    A deterministic universe in which the past and future is just as real as the present. A particular time is similar to a particular place.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    I disagree, two particular times are distinguished by entropy, whereas two particular places are not distinguished in this way, the 4th temporal dimension is physically different from the others. The question "is time ordered" bugs me, too! How do you order it? If it is not ordered, what are we doing differentiating? Words can't really describe my confusion when comprehending this question, how could it not be ordered? But I can't think of a good reason why it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook