How to Find Acceleration and Velocity in a Block and Wedge System

In summary, the student is trying to solve a set of equations that deal with the motion of two blocks. One block is accelerating and the other is not. He is missing one equation and he is not sure why.
springo

Homework Statement

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9476/dib.th.png

mA = 22kg
mA = 10kg
No friction
At t = 0, at rest

a.- Find aB
b.- Find vB/A at t = 0.5s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3786/dib3.th.png http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9979/dib2.th.png

I got to the following equations:
mA·aA = mA·g·cos(30) + NB·sin(50)
0 = NA - mA·g·sin(30) - NB·cos(50)

mB·aA·sin(30) = NB - mB·g·cos(20)
mB·aB/A - mB·aA·cos(50) = mB·g·sin(20)

There must be something wrong in these because after solving my results are wrong.
I don't know if I chose the wright base for studying each body (maybe the equations would be simpler with some other base?).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a little trouble figuring out how you got to those equations - can you tell me a little more of your reasoning?

I used Newton's 2nd law and then projected the vectors.

It seems to me that you have oversimplified. For starters, the acceleration of block B is going to be partly vertical and partly horizontal. It will not be in the direction of the ramp surface because that surface is falling and moving to the left. I think you need both horizontal and vertical accelerations for both blocks.

I'm thinking of the free body diagrams for A and B. I can write sum of forces = ma in each direction for each block, and get 4 equations with 6 unknowns including the 4 accelerations and the two normal forces.

NBsin(20) = 10aBx horizontal
NBcos(20) - 10g = 10aBy vertical
-NBcos(20) - NAcos(60) = 22aAx horizontal
-NBsin20 - 22g + NBsin(60) = 22aAy

Block A can only accelerate along the ramp so aAy = aAx*tan(30)

Still missing one equation. Must be something to do with B accelerating along its ramp, but it is itself accelerating so awkward to write!

Last edited:

1. What is a block?

A block is a solid piece of material that has a defined shape and size, and can be used as a building material or for other purposes such as support or decoration.

2. What is a wedge?

A wedge is a triangular shaped tool with a sharp edge used for splitting or cutting objects, such as wood or food. It works by applying force to a small area, which creates a large amount of pressure and helps to split the object apart.

3. How is a slope measured?

A slope is typically measured by the ratio of the vertical rise (change in height) to the horizontal run (change in distance) between two points on a surface. It can also be expressed as a percentage or in degrees.

4. What is the purpose of a block and wedge system?

The purpose of a block and wedge system is to create mechanical advantage, where a small amount of force applied to the wedge can produce a much larger force on the block. This makes it useful for tasks such as lifting heavy objects or splitting materials.

5. How do block, wedge, and slope relate to each other?

Blocks and wedges are often used in combination to create a slope, which is a slanted surface connecting two different elevations. A wedge can be used to adjust the angle of a slope, or to stabilize a block on a slope.