Blocks and Compressed Spring

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of equal mass connected by a massless spring on an air track. The spring has an unstretched length of L and a constant k. At t=0, block B is compressed to a distance of L/2 from block A, which is pressed against a wall. The goal is to find the motion of the center of mass of the system as a function of time. Using equations of motion, the displacement of the spring is found to be u(t) = (L/2)cos(sqrt(2k/m)t). However, there are some issues in determining the velocity of the center of mass, as it seems to be negative. A different approach using conservation of momentum may yield a solution
Astrum

Homework Statement

Two blocks of equal mass, connected by a masslless spring of constant ##k## are on an air track. her unstreched length of the spring is ##L##. at ##t=0## block ##b## is compressed to distance from block ##a## at ##l/2## (block ##a## is pressed against a wall). Find the motion of the center of mass of the system as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've got most of this problem worked out, aside from the end.

Our center of mass is ##R=\frac{1}{2}(r_a + r_b )##. We have set up new labels. ##r' _a = r_a - R ## and likewise for ##r' _b##, we have ##r' _a = -r' _b ##.

The springs displacement from it's equilibrium length is given by ##r_a - r_b - L = r' _a - r_b - L##, ext we set up the equations of motion and subtract ##m\ddot{r}'_b## from ##a##.

##u = r' _a - r' _b - L \rightarrow \ddot{u} = \ddot{r}'_a - \ddot{r}'_b ## then ##m\ddot{u}+2ku=0## solving for the boundary conditions (##u(0)=\frac{L}{2}## and ##\dot{u}(0)=0##) we have

$$u(t)=\frac{L}{2}\cos\left( \sqrt{\frac{2k}{m}}t\right)$$

At this point I'm a little bit confused. We need to find velocity of ##R##, so I think we can fiddle with ##u=r'_a - r'_b - L##.

Edit: Because we can rewrite this as ##\dot{u}(t)=-\omega \frac{L}{2} \sin (\omega t)##, we can write ##\dot{r}_a - \dot{r} _b = -\omega \frac{L}{2} \sin (\omega t)##, if we multiply the entire equation by ##\frac{1}{2}##, we would have ##\dot{R} = \frac{1}{2}(\dot{r}_a - \dot{r} _b ) = -\omega \frac{L}{4} \sin (\omega t)##? The only thing that's really weird is that this is negative, which can't be right.

Edit: Edit: Forget the top edit, I didn't realize that ##R = \frac{1}{2}(r_a + r_b )##Edit:Edit:Edit: I tried another method. Because ##\cdot{r}' _a - \dot{r}'_b = \dot{u}(t)## and ##\cdot{r}' _a = -\dot{r}'_b ##,this implies that ##\dot{r}'_a = -\omega \frac{L}{4} \sin (\omega t)## and ##\dot{r}'_b = \omega \frac{L}{4} \sin (\omega t)##. Now that we have two expressions, we can plug these into ##\dot{R} = \frac{1}{2}(\dot{r}'_a + \dot{r}'_b ) = 0## This result also seems counterintuitive The more I try, the more confused I become

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would split the problem into two phases. In the first phase, block A is against the wall and there is a force from the wall onto A. Later on, the system will move away from the wall, never to return. Find out when that happens.

haruspex said:
I would split the problem into two phases. In the first phase, block A is against the wall and there is a force from the wall onto A. Later on, the system will move away from the wall, never to return. Find out when that happens.

I was thinking that a valuable piece of information might be that the force on A and B is ##k\frac{L}{2}##, but I can't figure out how to use it. These forces from the spring oppose each other.

I can't understand why we should need to do anymore work on this, we have the EoM, it seems to me that it's just a matter of subbing in the right values.

With ##\ddot{u}(t)##, we have information on what all the other variables can be.

What I can think of physically, is the spring will push block B out past it's rest length, at which point A will have a force pulling it away from the wall.

##\dot{u}(t) = \dot{r}' _a - \dot{r}'_b## and ##\dot{r}' _a = -\dot{r}'_b## must give us the velocities of each, it's just a matter of solving them. I tried this method in my last edit, and it didn't seem to work.

Do you see what I'm saying? You may very well have suggested the correct way to look at this problem, but I'm having a difficult time seeing why my approach won't work.

Astrum said:
I was thinking that a valuable piece of information might be that the force on A and B is ##k\frac{L}{2}##, but I can't figure out how to use it. These forces from the spring oppose each other.

I can't understand why we should need to do anymore work on this, we have the EoM, it seems to me that it's just a matter of subbing in the right values.

With ##\ddot{u}(t)##, we have information on what all the other variables can be.

What I can think of physically, is the spring will push block B out past it's rest length, at which point A will have a force pulling it away from the wall.

##\dot{u}(t) = \dot{r}' _a - \dot{r}'_b## and ##\dot{r}' _a = -\dot{r}'_b## must give us the velocities of each, it's just a matter of solving them. I tried this method in my last edit, and it didn't seem to work.

Do you see what I'm saying? You may very well have suggested the correct way to look at this problem, but I'm having a difficult time seeing why my approach won't work.
I confess I've not tried to follow your working so far, but my point is that the circumstances will undergo a distinct change when block A loses contact with the wall. Up until that point, it will be as though the spring were fixed to the wall, and block A might as well not exist. After that point, there is no external force on the system. I don't see anywhere that you've modeled that, which makes me doubt your approach.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
I confess I've not tried to follow your working so far, but my point is that the circumstances will undergo a distinct change when block A loses contact with the wall. Up until that point, it will be as though the spring were fixed to the wall, and block A might as well not exist. After that point, there is no external force on the system. I don't see anywhere that you've modeled that, which makes me doubt your approach.

I got the answer through conservation of momentum, but I think it was a little bit of an underhanded tactic. But it's all good, thanks for the help, you made me realize I could "cheat". I could have gotten an answer with 1/4 the work involved.

Astrum said:
I got the answer through conservation of momentum, but I think it was a little bit of an underhanded tactic. But it's all good, thanks for the help, you made me realize I could "cheat". I could have gotten an answer with 1/4 the work involved.
OK, that's good.
Fwiw, it looks to me that the answer must be like
(L/2)(1-cos(γt)/2) for t < π/(2γ)
L/2 + v(t-π/(2γ)) for larger t.

1. What is a block and compressed spring system?

A block and compressed spring system is a simple mechanical system made up of a block, which is an object with mass, and a compressed spring, which is a coiled object that stores elastic potential energy when compressed. This system is commonly used in physics experiments and can be found in everyday objects such as shock absorbers and pogo sticks.

2. How does a compressed spring store energy?

When a spring is compressed, it deforms and stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. This energy is stored in the bonds between the atoms in the spring, which are stretched when the spring is compressed. When the spring is released, the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original shape.

3. What is the relationship between the compression of a spring and the force applied?

According to Hooke's Law, the force exerted by a compressed spring is directly proportional to the amount of compression. This means that the more the spring is compressed, the greater the force it exerts. This relationship is commonly represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement or compression of the spring.

4. How is a block and compressed spring system used to measure force?

A block and compressed spring system can be used to measure force by applying a known force to the block and measuring the amount of compression in the spring. Using Hooke's Law, the force applied can be calculated by multiplying the spring constant and the amount of compression. This system is commonly used in force gauges and scales.

5. What factors affect the compression of a spring?

The amount of compression in a spring is affected by several factors, including the spring constant, the force applied, and the material and shape of the spring. The spring constant determines how much force is required to compress the spring by a certain amount. A greater force applied will result in more compression, and different materials and shapes will have different levels of stiffness and compression abilities.