1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blocks and Pulleys Problem, please help!

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    Three Blocks total, Two on sides hanging off the table, and one Block on table in the middle of the two outer blocks. . . symmetrical.

block1 from left has a mass of M, hanging and connected to a pulley, which is the connected to Block 2(on a table) with Mass of 2M, Block three is also hanging but with mass of 2M. If acceleration is .5m/s^2, What is the Tension on the first string?
    what is the Kinetic friction of Black 2 on Table?

Fnet=Ma

I started by writing that Block 3= 2Mg-T2=2Ma
    Block 2= T2-T1=2Ma
    Block 1= T1-Mg=Ma
    I then connected Block3 to Block2, since they share T2
    I would add forces but tensions would simply cancel out, at times even masses and Tension, leaving me with known variables=known variables, makes not sense. I tried many ways. This is all the info the book gives, but I feel I'm missing a key idea.

This has been driving me insane.
    The tension question was given to me on a test, which I failed answering correctly.
    The Kinetic question, I know from back of book, the coefficient of kinetic friction is = .37
    But I don't know how exactly how they got to it. Some one please help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good.
    Don't forget that friction acts on Block 2.
    Good.

Correct your equation for Block 2 and you'll be able to solve for the friction, then use that to find μ.

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi FabricWarp! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(instead of using "SIZE" tags, try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    ooh, you're missing the obvious … you need a 2µMg somewhere in there, don't you? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook