1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blocks, Friction Forces and Acceleration

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    I am having trouble with this problem:
    A block whose weight is 50.0N rests on a horizontal table. A horizontal force of 25.0 N is applied to the block. The coefficients of static and kidnetic friction are 0.510 and 0.350 respectively. Will the Block move under the influence of the force and if so, what will be the block's acceleration?
    What I have so far:
    1. Fs=mu sN
    =25.5 N
    25.5 N>25.0 N, therefore the block will move under the influence of the force.
    2. Finding acceleration
    I know I have to find the net force then use that in the second law equation. How do I do that.
    I have kinetic force=17.5, mass=50/9.8=5.10 kg.
    Please help!:cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

You might want to look at this again. Which one was the force due to static friction?
  4. Oct 15, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct so far.

Think Newton's second law: the pulling force stays the same, but now instead of static friction, there is kinetic friction. What's the net force?
  5. Oct 15, 2005 #4
    Would the net force be: applied horizontal force-kinetic friction force?
  6. Oct 15, 2005 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, that's correct (there are two other forces in the vertical direction, but Normal force and weight will balance each other in *this* situation).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?