1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blocks on a Ramp Question

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Fig. 6-48, block 1 of mass 1.8 kg and block 2 of mass 2.9 kg are connected by a string of negligible mass and are initially held in place. Block 2 is on a frictionless surface tilted at = 38o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block 1 and the horizontal surface is 0.20. The pulley has negligible mass and friction. Once they are released, the blocks move. What then is the tension in the string?
    **image attached**

2. Relevant equations
    For m1, fxnet=Uk(FN)-T=ma and fynet=FN-mg=0 and for m2, fxnet=T-mgsin(theta)=ma and fynet=FN-mgcos(theta)=0... I don't know if these are correct or not, that's what I got when I did the free body diagrams.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know how to go about solving this problem... should I add any two equations together in order to get T?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As a shortcut, use a tilted frame of reference for m2. Instead of x and y, consider the forces that are parallel and perpendicular to the surface. The force down the slope is a component of the gravitational force (on m2). The tension acts up the slope.

The net force on this system ends up being (the down-slope component of gravitational force on m2) - (frictional force on m1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?