1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blocks on a Turntable

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Two identical blocks are tied together with a string and placed along the same radius of a turntable that is spinning about its center. The inner block is 4 cm from the center and the outer block is 5 cm from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the turntable and the blocks is µs = 0.74, and the string is taut.

a) What is the maximum angular frequency such that neither block slides?
    I got w= 12.7 which was right

b) Now suppose that the blocks each have a mass m = 21 g. For the value of w you just found, what is the tension in the string?
    T= ?N

I am stuck on b) I have 2 eqns:

So I keep getting 17N each time I try. What am i doing wrong?
    =21x.05x12.7^2 - .74x21x9.81
    =169.4-152.4= 17N

Help Please!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    I can't help you dude. I need help with the same problem. All I can figure out is that the net force points to the center of the circle I believe, and [​IMG] probably doesn't point toward the center, I think.

I'm still stuck on A and have no idea how to procede.
    If you finish the problem, and if you have some extra time could you help me with it please? :)
  4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    did u convert grams to kg?
  5. Sep 22, 2008 #4
    I was actually just doing that as when i saw i got a new reply. I thought i tried that before but i must have miscalculated. i got it right now thanks!
  6. Sep 22, 2008 #5
    haha yeah, i just solved it thanks to some help from someone else. peace. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?