Blog Entries - Categories and Deletion

• Complaint
  • Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
Not sure if this is a complaint, a sugggestion or a bug. But it's peeved me a bit so I'm sticking it under complaint.

I've noticed you can't fully delete blog entries.

I can select to delete one (and I even asked evo to as well), but no matter which of us do so it still remains in the blogs section. It doesn't count as an entry, but it's still there just saying "deleted by X".

Now I'm curious because I can delete a post in a thread and it's gone without trace (as far as myself and others are concerned), but I can't delete a blog entry? Which originally in my case was completely private so no one else could see anyway.

It seems like the system is backwards. You shouldn't allow deletion of posts by members as this can disrupt threads (obviously mentors etc should be allowed to). If a member chooses delete, it should simply mark the post as deleted (as the blogs do).

You should allow full deletion of the blog entries.

I don't know if other people can still see deleted blog entries (once they've been marked as deleted), but regardless, after a few mistakes they're really going to start cluttering up the blog page.

What is the point in deleting something if it stays there (thread posts aside)?

Now there is a second issue. How do the categories work in blogs?

I can create categories, but cannot for the life of me find how to post into a category. Neither can I move items from the "uncategorised" section into my newly created categories.

This is a minor issue which Im sure has a simple explanation. But none-the-less has perplexed me and I can't work out how to do it.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
As far as I can tell other users don't see it - probably just you and Mentors. At least Marzena can't see it.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I only see one for you, jared. It was posted today about 90 minutes ago. If that's the one you're trying to delete, then the delete has failed; otherwise, Borek is correct.

As far as I can tell other users don't see it - probably just you and Mentors. At least Marzena can't see it.
I only see one for you, jared. It was posted today about 90 minutes ago. If that's the one you're trying to delete, then the delete has failed; otherwise, Borek is correct.

Not too bad then, at least I can remove any mistakes (there should only be one blog entry showing - the one you see lisa).

Still not liking the fact they remain though. Too many mistakes and I'll have a blog full of deleted items.

Thanks for your replies.

Evo
Mentor
Not too bad then, at least I can remove any mistakes (there should only be one blog entry showing - the one you see lisa).

Still not liking the fact they remain though. Too many mistakes and I'll have a blog full of deleted items.

Thanks for your replies.
It's going to cost you $20. I hard deleted the blog entry this time, so it's gone. Originally I had just soft deleted it.

jared said:
Now I'm curious because I can delete a post in a thread and it's gone without trace (as far as myself and others are concerned), but I can't delete a blog entry? Which originally in my case was completely private so no one else could see anyway.
Mentors can see your deleted posts in threads, but you can't. :tongue:

Ah, thanks evo.

$20, in the words of Rik Mayall: "that's not steep, that's effing vertical!".

Still not sure why the system won't let members delete blog entries but will allow posts to be wiped out. Seems a strange setup.

Any ideas on the whole categories thing?

Evo
Mentor
Still not sure why the system won't let members delete blog entries but will allow posts to be wiped out. Seems a strange setup.
look up, I added the info on post deletes, they're only invisible to you.

No idea about the categories thing.

look up, I added the info on post deletes, they're only invisible to you.

Cheers