Setting Up a Blog: Software Options & Reviews

• Thread starter Crumbles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, if you want to set up a blog using free software, Blogger is the best option. However, if you want full control over the look and functionality of your blog, you should consider using a CMS like Drupal.
Crumbles
I am trying to set up a blog. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of the different software available out there, like 'Simple PHP Blog', 'Blogsphere' etc.

I want to be able to host the blog myself so I am not keen on Blogger and the other free hosted blogging tools out there. I am after a user hosted one that would have the same level of functionality as blogger. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
blogger ftp

I found http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=121" on Blogger. Does anyone use the ftp function on Blogger?

Does it give you full control of the page on your site where it posts the blog or is it just like it would have been like posting in Blogger itself. The reason I ask is I want full control of my blogs in terms of ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could use a CMS like Drupal.

I use MovableType, which is very flexible and customizable. The templating system uses a combination of it's own template commands and Smarty, so the look and functionality of your blog can be customized fairly easily. CSS is used extensively to control appearance.

If you're familiar with navigating around *nix with a shell and installing Perl modules, installation will be largely trivial. Can also be installed under Windows, but from what I've seen installation there is a little more effort. Most complaints about installing MT that I've seen come from people who've never stepped foot inside a command shell and have no idea about how *nix works.

Wordpress is another alternative (PHP based), which I've heard is an easier installation. I've never used it though.

Thanks!

ComputerGeek said:
you could use a CMS like Drupal.

Are you familiar with Drupal? I got round to trying it but it doesn't seem to be able to do what I want.

I am trying to set up a site with three different blogs but I do not want to allow users to have their own blogs on the site.

I am looking into tools like b2evolution and nucleus but they don't seem to be as customisable as Drupal. Do you have any suggestions?

1. What are the most popular blogging software options?

The most popular blogging software options include WordPress, Blogger, Wix, Squarespace, and Medium. These platforms offer a variety of features and customization options to fit the needs of different bloggers.

2. Which blogging software is the easiest to use?

This can be subjective, as it depends on the individual's technical skills and needs. However, many people find WordPress or Blogger to be user-friendly and easy to navigate, especially for beginners.

3. Are there any free blogging software options available?

Yes, there are several free blogging software options such as WordPress, Blogger, and Medium. These platforms offer basic features and tools for bloggers to create and publish content without any cost.

4. Can I switch blogging software after I have already set up my blog?

Yes, it is possible to switch blogging software after setting up your blog. However, it may involve some technical work, such as exporting your content and importing it into the new platform. It is important to research and plan before making the switch.

5. How do I choose the best blogging software for my blog?

The best blogging software for your blog will depend on your specific needs and goals. Consider factors such as ease of use, customization options, pricing, and support when making your decision. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare different software options before making a decision.