Is Home Testing for Cancers with a Blood Assay a Good Idea?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, Science magazine reports that a blood assay for a number of cancers can be done all at once and has a 99% accuracy rate. It is a test that would need to be done at a doctor's office and is likely something that would only be feasible if it were sensitive enough to work on a few drops of blood. While I'm sure these tests will become better and cheaper, the idea of home testing every day would probably be a very bad idea.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Science magazine news reports on a blood assay for a number of cancers, done all at once.
It detected between 33% and 98% of cases with <1% false positives.
it uses a combination of detecting DNA and proteins.

Last edited:
Likes jerromyjon and Choppy
Biology news on Phys.org
Could this say be something you could test daily at home for or something you'd do in person with a yearly physical?

Currently, it is not a cheap test (I think I read ~$500) and it probably has to be done in a lab.
From my reading, it would probably be a test for DNA markers and another test for some protein markers.
So I'm thinking like a blood lab test you get a physical rather than something you could do at home.

BillTre said:
So I'm thinking like a blood lab test you get a physical rather than something you could do at home.
I can't wait for at home tests. I'm so paranoid!

Given that it's a blood test (the paper says they used about 7.5 mL of plasma), it's likely something that would have to be done at a doctor's office as most people would not have the experience or equipment to draw their own blood. At at home version would only be feasible if it were sensitive enough to work on a few drops of blood (<<1mL). Still, as with many of these types of diagnostics, it is very helpful to have a doctor or someone knowledgeable be able to help the patient interpret the test results.

While I'm sure these tests will become better and cheaper the idea of home testing every day would probably be a very bad idea. If you look at some of the problems associated with mass screening, the same problems would be present. Its quite likely that there will always be abnormal cells in our body which will never progress to causing disease, so any positive test would need repeated testing and further investigation. This would lead to increased cost and possibly expose people to invasive investigations or dangerous treatments, this was a problem with the PSA test for prostate problems. It may be that even simple things like yearly physicals should only really be done at ages where there are established risks, it might invite unnecessary interventions and add to risk.

Likes Ygggdrasil

1. What is a blood assay for cancers?

A blood assay for cancers is a diagnostic test that analyzes a sample of blood to detect the presence of cancer cells or cancer-related biomarkers.

2. How is a blood assay for cancers performed?

A blood sample is collected from the patient and sent to a laboratory for analysis. The sample is then processed and tested for cancer biomarkers using various techniques such as ELISA, PCR, or flow cytometry.

3. What types of cancers can be detected through a blood assay?

A blood assay for cancers can detect various types of cancers such as breast, lung, colon, prostate, and leukemia. The specific biomarkers and techniques used may vary depending on the type of cancer being tested for.

4. Is a blood assay for cancers accurate?

Blood assays for cancers have a high accuracy rate, but they are not 100% accurate. False positives and false negatives can occur, and the results should always be interpreted by a trained medical professional.

5. What are the benefits of a blood assay for cancers?

A blood assay for cancers is a non-invasive and relatively quick diagnostic tool that can detect cancer in its early stages. It can also be used for monitoring cancer treatment effectiveness and detecting cancer recurrence.