Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blood Drinking

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    If a person ever drinks blood, what nutrients and stuff from drinking that blood would be absorbed into their bloodstream?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I advise you take a sunbath; it'll do you good. :smile:
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    =] what he said
  5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    K but a scientific question:

How much blood can you drink (approx) before you vomit? a shotglass or so?
  6. Feb 17, 2008 #5
    Can you drink just the part that's about 90% water and proteins and nutrients? How much of that can you drink?
  7. Feb 17, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would expect that some people would be able to drink more blood than others without vomiting. Some people might not vomit at all. There's nothing really physiologically wrong with blood as a food -- the thought of it is repulsive to many people, though.

- Warren
  8. Feb 17, 2008 #7
    In Africa certain tribes drink blood straight from the jugular of live cows. It's much more economical than killing a cow every time you want a meal. This way a single cow can serve as a consistent source of protein for the entirety of its life.
  9. Feb 17, 2008 #8

Staff: Mentor

I thought there was a chemical reason why people vomit if they drink blood (like after oral surgery). Googling "drink blood vomit" just turns up links about drinking alcohol, though....
  10. Feb 17, 2008 #9
    never mind I guess it is digestable
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  11. Feb 17, 2008 #10
    The movie, "The Killing Fields" show a character blood-letting on a cow for nutrition while he is imprisoned.
  12. Feb 17, 2008 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good point, but remember not to use Hollywood as evidence when determining if a man can fly
  13. Feb 20, 2008 #12
    You'd vomit after drinking "enough" blood due to iron poisoning. How much is enough? Well, that depends. How much alcohol do you have to drink to get as drunk as your friend? It all depends on how well your body handles it.
  14. Feb 20, 2008 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread looks pretty done.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?