Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Blood pressure and heartbeats

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

I was just wondering what it means if you have tested yourself with a home tester and found that:

1. When your heartbeat is fast, your bloodpressure is normal
    2. When your heartbeat is slow, your bloodpressure is high

Would that mean that one's blood is thick? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means you need to have your blood pressure checked by a doctor.

Slow, fast, normal, and high as used above are all relative terms that tell very little. But, if increasing your heart rate is lowering your blood pressure, that could indicate a problem with stroke efficiency...your heart is working harder to pump more, but not as much blood is being moved with each beat.

For example, a high heart rate and low blood pressure would occur after a major blood loss resulting in shock as the body is trying to get what little oxygenated blood it has out to keep the tissues alive, but there isn't much to go around.

Another possibility is you just aren't using your blood pressure device correctly and are getting erroneous readings. But, you really should have a doctor check that out since what you describe is not sounding normal at all.

4. Jun 29, 2008 #3

~christina~

Gold Member

Yes I thought that the wrist blood pressure monitor must be acting funny so I used the arm one and it occationally gave me that same result.
    I did check it out with my physician and he said that it was "nothing" and that my blood pressure was normal.
    I was just wondering what could be causing the readings on the blood pressure monitor.

As for the terms "high" and "low" I refer to readings such as:
    SYS/DIA-Heartbeat

76/58-114

107/68-120

Thanks Moonbear.

5. Jun 29, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both of those heart rates are pretty fast. The first blood pressure reading is a little low, but nothing to worry about if you're generally fit, the second more normal...but not considering that heart rate.

Have you manually checked your pulse to see if it's at all consistent with those readings? It may not be positioned quite correctly and is getting false readings. If you're not getting accurate readings, then you can't make much of any relationships, since it could be random chance from whatever is being picked up.

6. Jun 29, 2008 #5
    What is the typical relation between blood pressure and heart rate for healthy persons? If I have my blood pressure measured then I usually get uncomfortable when the band tightens around my arm. My heart rate increases due to the stress. Usually it rises to about 70 beats per minute or so during the measurement, while in rest it is about 42 beats per minute. The last time I had my blood pressure measured it was 130/80 at a heart rate of 80 bpm, so almost double the heart rate compared to normal.

And what would the blood pressure be during excercise when my heart rate is about 150 beats per minute?

7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

~christina~

Gold Member

I'm generally fit except for the thyroid condition. :rolleyes:
    The lower blood pressure was caused by a blood pressure band expanding before it read the full measurements. (I found this out after it happening a few times in the last day)

Thanks for all your help Moonbear.

8. Jul 5, 2008 #7

~christina~

Gold Member

Blood pressure should go up when the heartbeat goes up.

I started getting nervous when the band tightened and made that funny noise and it occationally gets my heart beat up.

9. May 12, 2010 #8
    Thyroid, this can be explanation, with vasodilation outside of the normal, and the heart working harder to circulate. I would think of a sonogram of your heart, if I were to be you. I wish to add, that there is no substituting the work of a doctor or nurse with a proper cuff and a stethoscope for BP. None.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?