Blood Pressure Drop: Understanding Mechanisms

In summary, arterioles have the largest pressure drop (change in pressure) because they have a high resistance (R) and pressure (P) is inversely proportional to resistance (P = Q x R) in the equation for flow. Blood flow (Q) is not constant throughout the body, but the net blood flow (Q) in the pulmonary and systemic circuits must be equal. This is due to the regulation and changes in blood flow through individual circuits in response to different physiological needs.
Smachine
Hello!

Ive been trying to understand mechanisms of blood pressure and so far the more I read the more confusing it gets. What I really don't understand is this - why does the pressure drop is largest in arterioles? The physiology book I use says that they constitute a high resistance and as the total blood flow is constant at all levels of the cardiovascular system the pressure is suppose to drop and this equation is given Q = ΔP/R, or ΔP = Q × R. I just don't get it, if the R is to increase then to sustain the same Q the pressure should actually increase from the equation. I always imagined that as larger blood vessels branch the total crossection area increases and so the total resistance decreases and that's the reason for pressure drop. I am really confused with this. :(

Biology news on Phys.org
Hello welcome to the forum, you are in the same boat as me asking lost of blood pressure questions :smile: My knowledge is very poor as as well but after reading this is what I think. This can most surely be wrong.

Why do you say blood flow is constant in every region in cardiovascular system? Don't some regions get more blood. Also even if there is a pressure loss there would still be a flow, it is not a massive pressure drop right? Also isn't it like current in a series circuit with resistors. The current is same through all of them? Please excuse me if this is illogical. Thanks :smile:

Last edited:
Are you using Principles of Human Physiology by Stanfield and Germann, by any chance?

First off, in cardiovascular physiology, when they refer to pressure "drop", this means pressure CHANGE. Therefore, arterioles have the greatest pressure change, relative to the other vessels.

Also, think of blood flow at two different levels:
(a) NET blood flow
(b) Blood flow through each individual circuit (systemic and pulmonary)

You are right in saying that as resistance (R) increases due to a decrease in radius (r) of the arterioles relative to the arteries, pressure (P) should increase. However, when you say that blood flow (Q) must remain constant throughout the system, it doesn't mean that flow through the circuit of vessels (ie. arteries > aterioles > capillaries > venoules > veins) is constant. Blood flow is far from constant as it travels through individual circuits.

For example, if you're exercising, the GI tract arterioles will constrict, therefore increasing resistance (R), and reducing flow (Q) to the GI tract capillary beds. However, the arterioles in the skeletal muscles will dilate, therefore decreasing resistance (R) and increasing flow (Q) to your skeletal muscles. This regulation/change in flow throughout the body makes intuitive sense, since you wouldn't want blood flowing to your intestines while there's a higher demand for blood in your skeletal muscles when you're exercising. This constant blood flow is referring to how blood through through the systemic circuit must be equal to blood flow in the pulmonary circuit.
Although Q increases and decreases throughout components of each circuit, the net blood flow from the pulmonary circuit will always equal the net blood flow from the systemic circuit. This also makes sense because oxygenated blood from lungs (pulmonary circuit) goes into the heart, to be pumped out to the rest of the body (systemic circuit). What goes in, must come out!

1. What is blood pressure drop?

Blood pressure drop is a decrease in the force of blood against the walls of the arteries. It is measured using two numbers - systolic pressure (top number) and diastolic pressure (bottom number). A normal blood pressure reading is typically around 120/80 mmHg.

2. What causes a drop in blood pressure?

There are several potential causes of a blood pressure drop, including dehydration, blood loss, medication side effects, and certain medical conditions such as anemia or heart problems. In some cases, a sudden drop in blood pressure can be a sign of a medical emergency, such as septic shock.

3. What are the symptoms of a blood pressure drop?

Symptoms of a blood pressure drop may include dizziness, lightheadedness, blurred vision, fatigue, nausea, and fainting. These symptoms may be more severe if the drop in blood pressure is sudden or significant.

4. How is a blood pressure drop treated?

The treatment for a blood pressure drop depends on the underlying cause. In cases of dehydration, increasing fluid intake can help raise blood pressure. In other cases, medications or other interventions may be needed to address the cause of the drop in blood pressure.

5. How can I prevent a blood pressure drop?

Some ways to prevent a blood pressure drop include staying hydrated, avoiding sudden changes in position (such as standing up quickly), and managing any underlying medical conditions that may contribute to drops in blood pressure. It is also important to follow any treatment plans prescribed by a doctor to maintain healthy blood pressure levels.