What adjective is used to describe the blood smell?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find an English word to describe the smell of blood and whether there is a medical term for it. One person suggests "sanguinary" while another mentions that it smells like rusty iron. They also discuss their own experiences with the smell of blood.
porums
Thanks
What adjective is used to describe the blood smell ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one cares.
I just want to learn an English word only
I stepped on a broken glass yesterday, blood everywhere.
Anyone sniffing it often could give me an answer please ? :smile:

I don't know of such a word, porums. I guess it's just called...the smell of blood.

Hope your foot's not too bad - did you need stitches?

rusty iron?

Thanks I don't,
Are you a doctor lisab ?

hah! what a question you got there porums. if its a describing word there would be plently but i don't think there is such a word to be used to show the smell of blood.

porums said:
Thanks I don't,
Are you a doctor lisab ?

No, I could never be a doctor! I really don't like being around sick people...not exactly a phobia, more of an aversion.

Perhaps someone sniffs often and doesn't care to make a difference. For example, doctors especially those working in urinerology (sp?) never says so, right ?
This isnot something disgusting at all :smile:, I only want to know if someone smells it, then how he feels about it, I smell a fish I then say it is fishy although when eating sushi, I don''t smell out anything.

rootX said:
rusty iron?

Yes, :smile: it is
But it still seems too technical right ? Can you compare the smell of blood please ?

porums said:
What adjective is used to describe the blood smell ?
Sanguinary?

porums said:
Yes, :smile: it is
But it still seems too technical right ? Can you compare the smell of blood please ?

I found it on internet. I don't remember when was the last time I tried to smell the blood. I think it does smell like rusty iron!

Thanks, I will remember that word. I once almost puked because I smelt my blood.

You can try it with your own once you have a chance again. :smile:

Ask moonbear!

What adjective is used to describe the blood smell?

There are multiple adjectives that can be used to describe the blood smell, including metallic, iron-like, coppery, and metallic-tasting.

Why does blood have a distinct smell?

Blood has a distinct smell due to the presence of iron in hemoglobin, a protein found in red blood cells. When blood is exposed to oxygen, the iron in hemoglobin oxidizes and produces a metallic odor.

Is the blood smell the same for all types of blood?

No, the blood smell can vary depending on the type of blood. For example, people with type O blood have a weaker smell compared to those with type A or B blood due to differences in their blood proteins.

Can factors like diet and health affect the blood smell?

Yes, certain foods and health conditions can affect the blood smell. For example, consuming foods high in iron can make blood smell more metallic, while certain medical conditions like diabetes can cause a sweet or fruity smell in the blood.

Are there any cultural or societal associations with the smell of blood?

Yes, the smell of blood is often associated with fear, danger, and violence in many cultures and societies. This is due to the fact that blood is often linked to injury, death, and the natural instinct to protect oneself from harm.