Blood Speed in an Arteriole

In summary, the speed of blood in a typical arteriole can be determined by using the equation s=P/vρ, where P is pressure, v is velocity, and ρ is the density of water. The volumetric flow equation Q=A*V can also be used to determine velocity, and the speed is the magnitude of velocity.
eagles12

Homework Statement

A typical Arteriole has a diameter of .030 mm and carries blood at the rate of 5.5* 10^-6 cm^3/s. What is the speed of the blood in an arteriole?

Homework Equations

s=P/vρ

The Attempt at a Solution

Blood is made of mostly water, so I used the same ρ as water (ρ=1000), and multiplied by the velocity given. I have the diameter, but I am not sure what do do with it or how to find the pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Volumetric flow is given by:

Q=A*V and has the units of volume per unit time. A is area, V is velocity

So, determine the velocity from the above equation.

I already have velocity, I am looking for speed

Speed is the magnitude of velocity. Velocity is a vector entity. It has both magnitude and direction. Speed is only the magnitude of velocity.

Can you help me?

To find the speed of the blood in an arteriole, we can use the equation s = P/vρ, where s is the speed, P is the pressure, v is the velocity, and ρ is the density. We have been given the diameter of the arteriole, which is .030 mm, but we do not have enough information to calculate the pressure. We would need to know the flow rate and the resistance of the arteriole in order to calculate the pressure. Additionally, we need to convert the given velocity from cm^3/s to m^3/s, as the density of blood is typically given in kg/m^3. Once we have all the necessary information, we can use the equation to calculate the speed of the blood in the arteriole.

1. What is blood speed in an arteriole?

The blood speed in an arteriole refers to the rate at which blood flows through a small blood vessel called an arteriole, which is responsible for delivering oxygen and nutrients to tissues and organs.

2. How is blood speed in an arteriole measured?

Blood speed in an arteriole is typically measured using a technique called Doppler ultrasound, which uses sound waves to detect the movement of blood cells and calculate the speed of blood flow.

3. What factors affect blood speed in an arteriole?

The main factors that affect blood speed in an arteriole include the diameter of the arteriole, the blood pressure within the arteriole, and the viscosity (thickness) of the blood.

4. What is considered a normal blood speed in an arteriole?

The normal blood speed in an arteriole can vary depending on the individual's age, overall health, and physical activity. Generally, it ranges from 0.3 to 0.7 meters per second.

5. How does blood speed in an arteriole impact overall health?

The blood speed in an arteriole is an important indicator of overall health. If it is too slow, it can indicate a blockage or narrowing of the arteriole, while if it is too fast, it can indicate high blood pressure or a hyperactive thyroid gland. Both of these scenarios can lead to serious health problems, highlighting the importance of maintaining a healthy blood speed in an arteriole.