Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blood test volume units

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1

Gold Member

I just got my blood test back and the numbers have some units I don't recognize, such as E9 and E12.

The printer seems to not be able to handle very sophisticated formatting, for example:
    - one unit is listed as "UMOL/L" for Creatinine. I suspect that this is meant to be [tex]\mu[/tex]mols.
    - another unit is listed as "mL/min/1.73 m2" for eGFR. I'm pretty sure the "m2" is [tex]m^2[/tex]

So E12 is the unit for my red blood cell count.
    And E9 is for white blood cell count, and a bunch of others including neuts, lymph mono, eos, baso.

Anybody know what these units are?

Exponent 9 and Exponent 12 maybe?

[ EDIT ]
    It is, isn't it?

The line item actually says

WBCC (mine: 6.8) (low: 4.0)-( high:11.0) x E9/L

That means I had 6.8x10^9 WBCs per L.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2
    That sounds about right, I can't say I know for sure but I think the numbers only make sense if E9 = [tex]10^{9}[/tex]

So the number of WBC's in a liter of your blood is almost equivalent to the number of people walking around on the earth. :D. Sounds like you are healthy :P
  4. Jan 9, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Yeah. I'm looking over all my results. They ALL fall nicely in the green. That's especially good for a Diabetic.

OK, all except LDL. I got a 2.84. My doc want to see it under 2.00.
  5. Jan 9, 2007 #4
    I haven't had a blood test for years. I probably should go someday soon.

Oh well on the LDL, let it be motivation :-).
  6. Jan 9, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Correct. 1.73 m^2 is average body surface area (hence the figure is normed to the average build). eGFR is estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, a measure of basic kidney function.

Exponents to base 10. Neuts = Neutrophils, Lymph = Lymphocytes, Mono = Monocytes, Eos = Eosinophils, Baso = Basophils. All various subtypes of white blood cells. It's called a 'differential count'.
  7. Jan 9, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Yeah. I thought this was interesting - a unit of area. Not a common measurement in biology.

That particular result also has a footnote: "For patients of African descent, the reported eGFR must be multiplied by a correction factor of 1.21."

Perhaps Africans have less skin and it's stretched particularly tightly over their frames...:biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?