Unlocking Blood Test Volume Units: E9, E12 & More

In summary, the numbers on my blood test seem to be in some units I don't recognize and my eGFR is estimated.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just got my blood test back and the numbers have some units I don't recognize, such as E9 and E12.

The printer seems to not be able to handle very sophisticated formatting, for example:
- one unit is listed as "UMOL/L" for Creatinine. I suspect that this is meant to be [tex]\mu[/tex]mols.
- another unit is listed as "mL/min/1.73 m2" for eGFR. I'm pretty sure the "m2" is [tex]m^2[/tex]

So E12 is the unit for my red blood cell count.
And E9 is for white blood cell count, and a bunch of others including neuts, lymph mono, eos, baso.

Anybody know what these units are?

Exponent 9 and Exponent 12 maybe?

[ EDIT ]
It is, isn't it?

The line item actually says

WBCC (mine: 6.8) (low: 4.0)-( high:11.0) x E9/L

That means I had 6.8x10^9 WBCs per L.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds about right, I can't say I know for sure but I think the numbers only make sense if E9 = [tex]10^{9}[/tex]

So the number of WBC's in a liter of your blood is almost equivalent to the number of people walking around on the earth. :D. Sounds like you are healthy :P

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm looking over all my results. They ALL fall nicely in the green. That's especially good for a Diabetic.

OK, all except LDL. I got a 2.84. My doc want to see it under 2.00.

I haven't had a blood test for years. I probably should go someday soon.

Oh well on the LDL, let it be motivation :-).

DaveC426913 said:
I just got my blood test back and the numbers have some units I don't recognize, such as E9 and E12.

The printer seems to not be able to handle very sophisticated formatting, for example:
- one unit is listed as "UMOL/L" for Creatinine. I suspect that this is meant to be [tex]\mu[/tex]mols.

Correct.
- another unit is listed as "mL/min/1.73 m2" for eGFR. I'm pretty sure the "m2" is [tex]m^2[/tex]

Correct. 1.73 m^2 is average body surface area (hence the figure is normed to the average build). eGFR is estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, a measure of basic kidney function.

So E12 is the unit for my red blood cell count.
And E9 is for white blood cell count, and a bunch of others including neuts, lymph mono, eos, baso.

Exponents to base 10. Neuts = Neutrophils, Lymph = Lymphocytes, Mono = Monocytes, Eos = Eosinophils, Baso = Basophils. All various subtypes of white blood cells. It's called a 'differential count'.

Curious3141 said:
Correct. 1.73 m^2 is average body surface area (hence the figure is normed to the average build). eGFR is estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, a measure of basic kidney function.
Yeah. I thought this was interesting - a unit of area. Not a common measurement in biology.

That particular result also has a footnote: "For patients of African descent, the reported eGFR must be multiplied by a correction factor of 1.21."

Perhaps Africans have less skin and it's stretched particularly tightly over their frames...:biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What are E9 and E12 blood test volume units?

E9 and E12 refer to the two most commonly used volume units for blood tests. E9 is equivalent to 9 microliters (μL) and E12 is equivalent to 12 μL. These units are typically used for smaller volume blood tests, such as for infants or young children.

2. Why are there different volume units for blood tests?

Different volume units are used for blood tests to ensure the accuracy and precision of the results. Some blood tests require smaller volumes of blood, and using different units allows for more accurate measurements. Additionally, using different units can help reduce the amount of blood needed for certain tests, which can be beneficial for patients.

3. How are blood test volume units determined?

The determination of blood test volume units depends on various factors such as the type of test being performed, the age of the patient, and the equipment used. These units are typically standardized by regulatory bodies and are based on scientific research and best practices in the field of medicine.

4. Are there other volume units used for blood tests?

Yes, there are other volume units used for blood tests, such as E8, E10, and E11. These units are less commonly used compared to E9 and E12, but they may be used for specific tests or in certain regions of the world.

5. How can I convert between different blood test volume units?

Converting between different blood test volume units can be done using conversion tables or online calculators. It is important to note that the conversion may not be exact and could affect the accuracy of the results. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional for accurate conversions and interpretations of blood test results.

Back