Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blood transfusions-from CHIMPS?

1. Yes, I'd be willing to even if it wasn't neccesary

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes, I'd be willing to only if it was neccessary

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, I'd not be willing to if it wasn't neccesary

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. No, I'd not be willing do it even if it was neccesary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am unsure

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Jun 14, 2004 #1
    Blood transfusions--from CHIMPS?!

Yesterday I was watching a documentary about the close relationship between chimps and humans. I was appalled to hear the narrator explain the relationship of chimps and humans to be so close that humans could take blood transfusions from chimps. They gave a public survey and found that 25% (including Jane Goodall[sp?]) said that they wouldn't mind at all. The other 75% said no. I would too. How about you?
    Wouldn't blood transfusions from different genuses result in complications? Even if the animal, like a chimp, has only a 1% genetic difference from human DNA? Obviously, that 1% is significant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whole blood may be an issue, because white blood cells do contain chimp DNA. Blood products should not really be an issue. Red blood cells do not contain any genetic material, and neither do platelets.

- Warren

4. Jun 14, 2004 #3
    wow, chroot, that's really interesting. Why don't red blood cells/platelets contain DNA?

I can already see this thread shouldn't belong in General Discussion...if someone can put it in Biology, it would be appreciated. thank you.

5. Jun 14, 2004 #4
  6. Jun 14, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I'm no biologist, so I could be wrong, and apologize if I am. I can't provide any references, it's just something I thought I picked up somewhere.

- Warren

7. Jun 14, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jun 14, 2004 #7

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jun 14, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why use chimps if there are humans that you can get the material from? If chimps were to be used for this purpose, they'd have to grow up in a complete sterile environment since the carry-over of strange virusses and other pathogens is very large since we are so related.

Xenotransplantation is prohibited in the Netherlands for that reason, I'm not sure about the situation in other countries.

For what reason do you say you are appalled, Imparticle?

10. Jun 14, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Options 2 and 3 on the poll mean pretty much the same thing ! Perhaps, you should eliminate 3.

11. Jun 15, 2004 #10
    I can't edit the pole. You should ask an administrator.

Just out of curiosity, how do they know this? They must have a lot of time on their hands....

12. Jun 15, 2004 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Seems like a simple calculation, if you know the average lifetime of a red blood cell, the number of them per volume of blood, and the volumes pumped by the heart to the lungs and to the arteries per time unit. You have to assume the blood system is continuous, that every volume pumped out from the heart eventually comes back to the heart.

13. Jun 17, 2004 #12
    And how do they calculate the number of blood cells in a volume of blood? Do they take a small amount and then multiply the number of cells in the small amount by a given volume of blood?

14. Jun 17, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, there are certain counting chambers where cells can be counted in a grid; for instance, a Burker chamber has squares of 0.1 mm deep and a surface of 0.04 mm2.. I guess about 10 cells could be counted per square (depending on the cell type).. you count about 100 cells and then see in how many squares those were and from there you can do further calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?