Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blood Transfusions

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    I know that blood transfusions are limited amongst blood types because of anti-gen anti-body reactions. What I don't understand is how the donor's anti-body does not react with the recipient's RBCs.

For example: If a man with AB blood type received blood from an O type woman, why doesn't the anti-bodies of the O blood attack the AB blood of the man? Meanwhile, if AB is given to O, there would be a life-threatening reaction.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There aren't any O antigens. O blood is called O because it has no A or B
    So you can give O- to anybody and similairly someone who is AB+ can receive anything.

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    O does not have any antigens but it does have antibodies of both types. I think my question was misunderstood.

When O type blood can be given to any blood type because the recipient's antibodies will not attack the O type RBCs. Now let's think about it the other way around. Why is it that the antibodies of the O donor does not attack the RBCs of the recipient?

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless the O donor has had a mis-matched transfusion to get exposed to AB blood, which should make them ineligible to donate blood, they'd have no antibodies to other blood types. Antibodies form AFTER an exposure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook