Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Bloody UTI

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    I had a girlfriend before with bloody UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) three times a year (from intimacy). I'd like to understand whether bloody UTI is caused by thinner bladder or more aggressive forms of bacteria? I was so afraid it may infect her kidney so I just left her as I couldn't take the pressure. Now looking for another woman I'd like to make sure it won't happen again.. and I'm curious of the technicalities of bloody UTI. When you (women) have UTI.. it's normally not bloody.. for you.. what causes UTI to be blood.. what you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. Jan 7, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This thread is reopened to see how it goes. On the one hand, we are not allowed to provide any medical diagnoses (Dx) here per the PF rules. OTOH, the OP seems to be asking more about the medical causes of blood in urine, particularly in conjunction with UTIs. As long as there is no medical advice offered, this thread may still complly with the PF rules for medical discussions.
    @oquen -- what did your partner's doctor say about the blood in her urine coincident with the UTIs? Did she have blood in her urine any other times, or just with the UTIs? What reading have you been doing about blood in the urine, and about UTIs?

And more on point to your main question, do you understand what sexual practices are most likely to lead to UTIs in female partners, and how to lower the chances of them occurring?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Jan 7, 2017 #4
    This is not to ask for medical advices because it's not existing problem but happen a year ago. Now it's simply to understand the biology and medical aspect of it. We visited two urogynologist. And they can't explain the cellular basis of it. One is not sure whether it's stronger stain of bacteria or thinner bladder. And second urogyno said UTI usually doesn't have blood and it's rare for her to encounter blood.

She only has blood during the UTI.. and has to take the antibiotic Norfloxacin and after 4 days no more blood. It happened 2 times already and it gave me the horror. So I couldn't continue the relationship because if the bacteria reached her kidney. She could lose her kidney or suffer damage that could require dialisysi and she is 40 years old already. Menopause can even make it worse because of lack of lubrication in the vagina so since we aren't married yet and I'm not even her type. She didn't lubricate often and this could cause more severe problem in her menopause.

According to the doc. A male introduced bacteria to the woman genital either by existing bacteria inside the vagina which you introduce to the urethra by the friction inherent in intercourse. The second cause is tranfsering the e.coli around anus to her urethra.

But this generally doesn't cause bloody uti. A pure urologist I visited is also not sure of the exact mechanism. This seems to be still a medical mystery.

So has anyone of your experience bloody UTI? Do you think it's caused by thinner bladder or stronger strain of bacteria? What do you think? Norfloxacin antibiotic can easily cure it. But then Norfloxacin being quinolone has scary adverse side effect of nerve damage. So it's a lose lose situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted