Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Blowback from operation ajax

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    Does it qualify operation ajax to be the biggest gaffe in the history of the US? I think there is little to argue about its major role in setting up anti-Americanism and al Qaeda in the Middle East which has led to the current climate of breeding terrorists today.

Interesting brief article on the history if you aren't familiar:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,450997-2,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    The article points out that the Soviets only needed to make an investment into oil infrastructure. However, it fails to point out their (prior) significant investment into military. Is it possible they thought a return on their military investment was possible?

4. Jan 23, 2010 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

As al Qaeda is a 100% Sunni muslim operation, the ajax meddling in Shia dominated Iran had absolutely nothing to do with forming al Qaeda. Iran was also quite happy to see the US and NATO squash the al Qaeda harboring Taliban. I can only see one or two valid terrorism-as-a-product argument here: Hezbollah, the Iranian controlled para military group in Lebanon, and Iranian sponsored operations in Iraq.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. Jan 23, 2010 #4
    If we were funding Bin Laden in the 70s/80s, we would have picked him up as soon as he went rogue in Sudan. The Sudanese government offered Bin Laden first to Iraq I believe, Iraq turned it down because it would have caused a massive uproar in the general populous. They then offered Bin Laden to the United States because of his Anti-US agenda, but Bill Clinton said that Bin Laden hasn't attacked the US directly in any way so we couldn't do anything about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook