Why does the Blue Bottle Demostration stop eventually?

• Thread starter dumbadum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of the Blue Bottle Demonstration, where glucose is added to a solution of NaOH and Indigo carmine is added to create a stop light reaction. They explored why the process eventually stops and the role of O2 in re-oxidizing the indigo carmine. They also discussed the possibility of reversible reactions and the involvement of two electrons in the redox reaction.
dumbadum
I'm trying to finish a lab report on the Blue Bottle Demostration where glucose is added to a solution of NaOH. Then Indigo carmine is added so the solution would go from red to yellow to green (My teacher called it the stop light reaction :D)
I need to figure out why does the process eventually stop.
Here is what I think:
Since O2 in the flask is what re-oxidizes the indigo carmine to reform the initial colour at equilibrium, without O2, the reaction will eventually stop.
My question is, what happened to the O2 that oxidizes the indigo carmine? does it just stay there?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I meant was that when we did the lab in class, when we shook the solution very vigorously, the solution turned blue and never turned back. If all O2 oxidized are then reduced, why did the reaction get stuck?
One more question:
I read on the internet that indigo carmine was oxidized twice, once to give the red colour, and once more to give the green colour. How?
Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with this lab, but the reaction with glucose is the first oxidation/reduction reaction with the indicator, the next reaction involves the indicator with oxygen gas, that is the electrons are allocated to the oxygen. I'm not quite sure how reversible this particular oxidation/reduction reaction is. You should access the reaction products for this second reaction.

I'm guessing that the redox reaction in this case are successive, remember that two electrons are involved in the reaction.

1. What is the Blue Bottle Demonstration?

The Blue Bottle Demonstration is a chemistry experiment that involves mixing two colorless liquids to create a blue-colored liquid. This reaction is known as the "blue bottle" reaction and is a classic example of an oscillating chemical reaction.

2. What materials do I need for the Blue Bottle Demonstration?

To perform the Blue Bottle Demonstration, you will need a clear glass bottle, food coloring (preferably blue), hydrogen peroxide, sodium hydroxide, and water. You will also need safety equipment such as gloves and safety goggles.

3. How does the Blue Bottle Demonstration work?

The Blue Bottle Demonstration works by combining two chemical solutions: a mixture of glucose, sodium hydroxide, and water, and a solution of hydrogen peroxide. The glucose reacts with the oxygen from the hydrogen peroxide, causing the solution to turn blue. As the oxygen is used up, the solution eventually turns colorless again. This cycle repeats, creating the "blue bottle" effect.

4. What is the purpose of the Blue Bottle Demonstration?

The Blue Bottle Demonstration is often used as an educational tool to demonstrate chemical reactions and the concept of oscillating reactions. It also serves as a fun and visually interesting demonstration for science fairs and classroom experiments.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when performing the Blue Bottle Demonstration?

Yes, it is important to handle the chemicals used in the Blue Bottle Demonstration with caution. Wear gloves and safety goggles to protect your skin and eyes. Also, make sure to perform the experiment in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case.