Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blue Screen of Death

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    Hi. Yesterday I was playing a game (Morrowind Tribunal) and when doing certain actions (resting, equipping things) I got the blue screen of death with a file ialmdev5.dll I wouldn't be so mad if it would only happen once, but it happens all the time.

Here are my system spec:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    Version 2002

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    3.07GHz 504 MB of RAM

I don't know where you can find anything else. Sorry if it was already asked
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    With this information alone it's impossible to tell.
  4. May 4, 2008 #3
    I can't figure out where to find the rest info.
  5. May 4, 2008 #4
    What else does it say when the error occurs? Did it give a memory address?
  6. May 4, 2008 #5
    I'm kinda scared to copy everything. What will happen when timer goes to it's limit?
  7. May 4, 2008 #6
    No worry, it'll just automatically restart the computer when it runs out.

Do this; Go to My Computer -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab ->.... then uncheck the option "Automatically Restart". Should give you extra time to copy everything down.
  8. May 5, 2008 #7
    Have you installed the latest patches for your game?
  9. May 5, 2008 #8
    What type of VC are you using...?? Maybe update your VC drivers...?
  10. May 6, 2008 #9
    Here I go. Not sure if I copied the right things:

ialmdev5.dll - adress BFSOC63F base at BFA06000, DateStamp 43e8d1t

New error I got:
    sysadio.sis - adress AA1FBC94 base at AA1F9000, DateStamp 41107f1a

Not sure if game up to date

What's VC?
  11. May 7, 2008 #10
    Looks like it's an issue with either your video drivers or the physical RAM. I know Morrowind isn't a very intensive game so you shouldn't be having problems running it unless there is a conflict of some sort... or bad hardware. The sysadio.sis is a Silicon Integrated Systems audio hardware file and the ialmdev5.dll is an Intel graphics driver.

Go into your C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory and find the 'dxdiag' executable. Run it and see if it finds any errors. Wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and run the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests while your at it... they're under the Display tab.

Do you know what video drivers your motherboard takes?
  12. May 7, 2008 #11
    True.. it could use pixel shader 2.0 or something of that sort {nvr played the game} .. that would/could cause a bsod.
    .. have you updated the drivers yet...?
  13. May 7, 2008 #12
    I ran dxdiag and in all tabs it said that no errors were found. I also ran other tests and they were all successful

Where can I check/see what video drivers my motherboard takes?

The only thing I downloaded is IEGD 6.1 Graphics Driver Gold and I have no clue if it'll help me
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  14. May 7, 2008 #13
    .. where di you dl this from?
  15. May 7, 2008 #14

Apparently it didn't help
  16. May 7, 2008 #15
    Download this and it'll tell you quite a bit about your system. It'll take a few seconds to gather all the information..

See what motherboard and graphics device you have. Sounds like you probably have integrated graphics.
  17. May 7, 2008 #16

Hope that's enought
  18. May 7, 2008 #17
    Could you try making one thats just a little bit bigger?:biggrin: The only ones I really need is the Mainboard, Memory and SPD. Sorry I forgot to tell you.
  19. May 7, 2008 #18
  20. May 7, 2008 #19
    Did you uninstall the drivers, reboot, then install, or did you just install over the existing drivers? Sometimes without completely removing the drivers it may leave a damaged file intact.

Is this the same driver that you downloaded?...

Driver Page

Also, just to make sure the drive isn't writing to bad sectors, tell Windows to run a disk check when you reboot.

Does it crash after you've been playing the game for a while or anytime you do those actions? You could open up task manager before you start the game and let it run in the background, and right before you do whatever action makes it BSOD, minimize the game and check what task manager says about the page file usage.

It giving you the audio file error is also a bit strange. Like the game is is shutting down when it tries to display the image and sound of what you're trying to do. It's strange getting both at the same time... as though its a memory allocation issue.
  21. May 7, 2008 #20
    I did not uninstall anything

The driver I downloaded is different from the driver you gave me link, but I downloaded that one too

Do I run the disk check of the disk that I installed the driver on?

The BSOD appears when I do any kind of action, except for walking. Such things would include equipping, resting, selling, using a weapon or a spell.

Task manager thing would fail because I have no clue when BSOD appears and when I scroll down the game, the game image remains, but the mouse pointer changes and I can click on things

Damn you are smart
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?