Bluetooth Receiver: Class 1 vs Class 2 for Senior Project

In summary, the Class 1 option is better for the project because it has an on-board antenna and is cheaper. The Class 2 option is better for taller elevators, as the ESD1000 has a 30m range while the ESD200 has a 1,000m range.
factorial
I'm not sure whether to use this:
Class 1

http://www.kanda.com/products/Sena/PARANI-ESD1000.html

or

Class 2

http://www.kanda.com/products/Sena/PARANI-ESD200.html

I'm planning to use it in an elevator for a senior project and I would like some suggestions or advice on which to choose. The ESD1000 says that an antenna isn't included with or on the chip and it uses v2.0 + EDR. However, the ESD200 chip says that it has an on-board antenna and it uses v1.2. Is it necessary to have the antenna because I know the ESD1000 has the newer version of Bluetooth but the lack of antenna concerns me. Also, why is the ESD1000 cheaper than the ESD200?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've used ESD1000 before without the antenna and it's fine. Depends on how far you want to be able to go with the elevator I suppose, 100 meters or 1,000 meters. Not sure about the price difference, it could be because the antenna is included, or it could be because they just don't make the ESD200 as much anymore. Supply and demand, and all that jazz.

Edit: Whoops, turns out I used ESD100 before, not 1000 (only off by one logarithmic scale)

Last edited:
I see. Thanks for the response. Anyone else have second opinions or more input to add in please?

How tall is the elevator shaft? That 30m range advertised for the unit with the PCB antenna is not very far, and may not be all that reliable even at 30m. An elevator shaft would generally call for directional antennas, to maximize your SNR and comm reliability. So the unit with the SMA antenna connector would seem to be the best choice, and you will want to find/make good directional antennas. You could make 3-element Yagis, for example, to get some reasonable gain in the axis of the elevator shaft.

1. What is the difference between a Class 1 and Class 2 Bluetooth receiver?

A Class 1 Bluetooth receiver has a range of approximately 100 meters, while a Class 2 Bluetooth receiver has a range of only about 10 meters.

2. Which class of Bluetooth receiver should I choose for my senior project?

It depends on the specific needs of your project. If you require a longer range for your Bluetooth connection, then a Class 1 receiver would be more suitable. However, if your project only requires a short-range connection, a Class 2 receiver should suffice.

3. Can I use a Class 1 and Class 2 Bluetooth receiver together?

Yes, you can use both types of receivers together. However, the range will be limited to the range of the Class 2 receiver.

4. Are there any other differences between Class 1 and Class 2 Bluetooth receivers?

Aside from the range, Class 1 receivers also consume more power and are typically larger in size compared to Class 2 receivers.

5. How do I know if a Bluetooth receiver is Class 1 or Class 2?

The class of a Bluetooth receiver is typically noted in the device's specifications or packaging. You can also check the Bluetooth receiver's MAC address, as Class 1 devices have a MAC address that starts with "00:02".