Upgrading BMET to BSME: Advice & Experiences

• Thread starter chrisvig
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is currently enrolled in the BMET program at Wentworth Institute of Technology but originally was in the BELM program. They switched because they did not enjoy the electrical side of the program but now find themselves in a program that is less desirable in terms of job prospects and time required to become a PE. They are considering upgrading their degree to a BSME and have reached out to their school for information. The main difference between the two programs is said to be calculus and calculus-based physics. The speaker is seeking advice on whether it is worth the effort and cost to upgrade their degree and if anyone has gone through this process before. It is important to consider the potential benefits and drawbacks before making a decision.
chrisvig
I am currently going to Wentworth Institute of Technology (WIT) in the BMET (mechanical engineering technology) program. However I was original in the BELM (electomechanical engineering) program. I switched because I really did not enjoy the electrical side of the program. But I now find myself in a program that is second to BSME and from what I found the start pay is less and it takes 4 more years to become a PE. I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation before. I believe that I can “upgrade my degree from a BMET to a BSME but I am not sure how to. In the past I’ve asked my school but WIT is not the best a student service (switching programs was a huge pain) who ever I ask at the school tells me to asks some other person and then that person doesn’t know either it’s just a big run around. I recently sent an e-mail to the head of my department and I’m waiting to hear back. I have also been told the main difference between the two programs is the calculus. But I’ve taken calculus 1-3 and I will be taking differential equations. And I was also told it was to do with calculus based physics which I took when I was still in the BELM program. Has anyone gone through this process of “upgrading” there degree? Any advice? is it worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to upgrade your degree from a BMET to a BSME, but it may be difficult depending on your school's policies. It is important to speak with the head of your department and find out what specific courses you need to take in order to upgrade your degree. Additionally, you should ask about any additional requirements that may be required such as a capstone project or other professional experience. It is worth considering the effort if you are interested in pursuing a career that requires a BSME degree. Many employers may look more favorably upon applicants who have a higher degree, and having a BSME may open up more career opportunities. Additionally, having a higher degree may also provide better salary and benefits. It is important to weigh the pros and cons when making this decision. For example, if you find that upgrading your degree would require an extra two years of schooling, it may not be worth the effort if you want to enter the workforce quickly. Additionally, it is important to consider the costs associated with upgrading your degree, such as tuition and other fees, and decide if the cost is worth the potential benefits. Ultimately, the decision to upgrade your degree is up to you, and it is important to research thoroughly and get advice from your school to ensure that you make the best decision for your future. Good luck!

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your concerns about upgrading your degree from a BMET to a BSME. It is not uncommon for students to switch programs or majors during their academic career, especially if they find that their interests lie in a different area than originally anticipated.

Firstly, I would advise you to gather as much information as possible about the difference between the two programs and the process of upgrading your degree. This may include speaking to professors or advisors in both programs, researching job prospects and salaries for each degree, and reaching out to alumni who have gone through a similar process.

It is also important to consider your own personal goals and career aspirations. If becoming a PE is important to you and you feel that a BSME will better prepare you for this, then it may be worth the extra time and effort to upgrade your degree. However, if you are content with the job prospects and opportunities available with a BMET degree, then perhaps it may not be necessary to upgrade.

In terms of the actual process of upgrading your degree, it is best to follow the guidelines set by your school and department. This may involve taking additional courses or completing a certain number of credits in the BSME program. It may also be helpful to speak to students who have successfully upgraded their degree, as they can provide insight into the process and any challenges they may have faced.

Ultimately, the decision to upgrade your degree should be based on your own personal goals and what you feel is best for your career. I would also encourage you to continue reaching out to your school and department for guidance and support in this process. Best of luck to you in your academic and professional journey.

1. What is the difference between a BMET and a BSME?

A BMET (Biomedical Equipment Technician) is typically a two-year degree program that focuses on the repair and maintenance of medical equipment. A BSME (Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering) is a four-year degree program that covers a broader range of mechanical engineering topics, including the design, development, and maintenance of various mechanical systems.

2. Why would someone consider upgrading from a BMET to a BSME?

Upgrading from a BMET to a BSME can open up new career opportunities, as a BSME degree is often required for higher-level positions in the biomedical engineering field. It can also lead to a higher salary and more job stability.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in engineering to pursue a BSME degree after completing a BMET program?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in engineering to pursue a BSME degree. Many universities offer bridging programs or prerequisite courses for students with non-engineering backgrounds to prepare them for a BSME program.

4. What advice do you have for someone considering upgrading from a BMET to a BSME?

Firstly, research different universities and their BSME programs to find one that best fits your goals and interests. It's also important to consider the cost and time commitment of pursuing a BSME degree. Networking with professionals in the field and gaining hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial.

5. Can someone work as a BMET while pursuing a BSME degree?

Yes, it is possible to work as a BMET while pursuing a BSME degree. Many universities offer part-time or online options for their BSME programs, allowing students to continue working while completing their degree. However, it may be challenging to balance both work and school, so it's important to have good time management skills and prioritize your responsibilities.