Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BMW 5 series

1. Oct 20, 2003 #1
    it costs about 350,000 ringgit (USD 100,000)in malaysia, how much is it in USA?
    people like me, a lecturer, has no chance to buy one!

I drive Proton Wira, national car, cost about 10,000 USD.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2003 #2
    Chalk me up with one of the poor souls unable to indulge in such luxury. I couldn't see spending that much on a car unless I was a millionaire.

4. Oct 20, 2003 #3
  5. Oct 21, 2003 #4
  6. Oct 21, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.rtl.nl/automotor/rtlautowereld/rijtesten/bmw_5.xml

520i: €46.750 = $54,561
    530i: €54.500 = $63,606
    530d: €56.350 = $65,765

(1 € = 1.16709 $)

Btw, did you know that all (well, almost) Dutch taxi cabs are Mercedez-Benz? The luxury! You pay the price though, when you need the ride..

7. Oct 21, 2003 #6
    Is that why they have all those 'free to ride' white bicycles in Amsterdam - for those who can't afford the taxis?

8. Oct 21, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mostly because that is the best way to get around the city I guess.. they now also have taxi-bicycles :) one guy will sit in front and power the thing and two people can sit in the back, mostly I tourist thing though.

9. Oct 21, 2003 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Malaysia sucks for imposing such high tariffs.

Saint, are you planning on purchasing a new car? If so, is $10k US around your limit. If this is your budget, then I would go with a honda, toyota, or buy another proton.

A luxury car in the US, usually starts at $30k US. If you do have the opportunity to buy or test drive a bmw, it is an amazing ride. The handling and acceleration are spectacular. When you first try to drive, you'll be pulled back in your seat because the pedal is so sensitive.

I had many friends with honda civics, and they where good cars. Personally, I had a toyota and it was a reliable car.

10. Oct 21, 2003 #9
    our government imposes 200% tax on imported cars, therefore it is so costly that only businessmen can afford to buy it!
    I can only rent it from AlvisRentaCar!

A 7-series BMW cost about 700,000 ringgit (~200,000USD),
    !

11. Oct 21, 2003 #10
    In malaysia,
    Honda accord costs USD50,000
    Jaguar costs USD230,000.
    Honda Prelude (sporty) USD 55000
    Lotus Elise USD 60,000
    Scary!!!

12. Oct 21, 2003 #11
    Mercedes has almost the same price as BMW.

13. Oct 21, 2003 #12
    Saint, you want an import? How about a slick new 92 saab9000? It only has 210,000miles. This things a steal for anything under, oh...$35,000? I originally didn't want to let it go for anything under $60,000, but for you I'm willing to bend.

If your interested leme know soon, this things hot! I've lost count of how many offers it's gotten.

14. Oct 21, 2003 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Saint, I guess its time to move to another country then. I can't believe a jaguar would cost 230k USD. What model is it. In the US you can get a jaguar x-type for 30k USD or an s-type for 45k USD.

I'm starting a fund to purchase an aston martin vantage. If anyone is willing to donate you can email me. Hopefully you guys will generous enough I can buy one when I'm 25 or so. The car is a mere 200k USD. Or maybe I should just wait until im 40 and get a maclaren f1 for 1 million USD.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  15. Oct 21, 2003 #14
    I've test driven a Jag X-type don't waste your money. You can get the same ride from a 20k mid range car. BMW's and Mercedes are naturally cheaper in europe. Stick with hondas and toyotas. Those little cars run forever. And Duardo, if you're shooting for a DB7, you'd better start playing the lotto. What are they? About 200K last I checked? Why not shoot for a ferrari or a rolls? Better yet, just shoot for the Maybach- now THAT's a car:wink: Will set you back a cool half a mill

Mercedes an BMWs are nothing but status symbols. I can get get the same quality from a 20K car as with a 40-50K car. (can you tell I can't afford one?;)

16. Oct 21, 2003 #15
    Buy a Lotus Elise...*grins*

17. Oct 21, 2003 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you can try raising money by modifying peoples pictures by mail..

And yes, BMWs are amazing, my family had one for a couple of years and it is like sitting in an airplane (without the turbulance) the ride is so smooth! The acceleration is really nice too, as well as the steering. Now we have a car I can't even remember the name of *thinks real hard* Volvo! Thats it, a volvo :)

I once almost owned the following car, from Citroen:
    http://www.beaucars.nl/classic/ZJ-XB-98.jpg
    The roof can be taken off :) can't imagine driving that one in the States, the cars over there are monstrous! :P

18. Oct 21, 2003 #17
    Are you crazy? Having recently started working for Mercedes i can assure you that if you buy a brand new Mercedes then you will be amazed by just how luxurious there are, the ride is incredibly smooth and the steering is quality, the acceleration isnt too bad either. Im not sure about the BMW's but they cant be much worse or better than Mercedes.

19. Oct 21, 2003 #18

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I have a BMW 3 series and the accleration is very good, especially on the highway when i switch from automatic to sports to manual with steptronic.

My parents have a jaguar s-type, but i don't like it because the handling is junk. It feels like your driving a bus. There is barely any feedback from the steering wheel. I prefer a stiffer wheel, where i can feel the turns, which the BMW does. It makes driving fun.

[edit] Monique, i don't know if you've seen Mr. Bean, but you should look into purchasing the blue 3 wheeled car.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  20. Oct 21, 2003 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I have seen Mr. Bean?? I grew up with Mr. Bean!!

21. Oct 21, 2003 #20

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Have you seen rowan atkinson live. It is just hilarious. I liked the sketch where he acts like a king with a physical defect.

Also, do you have the Whole Bean Dvd Collection. Maybe thats what you could buy with the 100 euros.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?