How much does the BMW 5 series cost in the USA compared to Malaysia?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: BMW or Mercedes?)In summary, it costs about 350,000 ringgit (USD 100,000)in Malaysia, how much is it in the United States? people like me, a lecturer, has no chance to buy one!
How much is the annual salary of a senior lecturer in university of USA?
Can achieve USD50,000 ?

If so, driving a BMW 3 series is not a problem.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Owning a 3 series shouldn't be much of a problem, it does depend on what model of 3 series it is though. An M-3 is considerably more expensive than a 318. But if you want a BMW or a Mercedes you have to get either the M series or the AMG-Mercedes. They are fantastic.

What about the low end models? Now if I could get an "airplane performance" from a 30K entry level model, then I'd reconsider..

Maybe the 325i or the Z4 2.5i

Last edited:
you americans are lucky, because you can own good cars with cheaper price than us.

I'm looking forward to migrating there.

Maybe the 325i or the Z4 2.5i

Depends if you want a fast car, or a really fast car. and the Z4 isn't that nice anyway, looks nice, if your a woman or a hairdresser and handles quite badly as well, the 325i is much better, but you are making a mistake if you don't get out another mortgage to get the M-3 or an AMG.

Maybe when get my MD Actually then I'll be looking at a lotus or a porsche.. somewhere in between now and then

Originally posted by Saint
you americans are lucky, because you can own good cars with cheaper price than us.

I'm looking forward to migrating there.

Believe me when I say that if you take the economies into scale, not just anyone can swing what amounts to an 800 or 900 USD/month car payment. It's really an "upper middle class" auto, if not upper class.

Aside from California, if you see someone driving a NEW BMW, you automatically assume they are a doctor, lawyer, or business owner.

You have to be well off where ever you live in the world to be able to afford a new Mercedes or BMW, not so much the Mercedes A class cos they are just cheap ****.

Originally posted by Saint
[]it costs about 350,000 ringgit (USD 100,000)in malaysia, how much is it in USA?
people like me, a lecturer, has no chance to buy one!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1484-1.jpg

Try this monster, Ford BA XR8, $51K AUS.
I consider this to be the best value sports/family car in the world+ check out the looks

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.research_specs?vehicle_code=20020925.15:43:07&sort_type=&current_rec=1&make_name=FORD&model_name=FALCON

Last edited by a moderator:
unless that's a new model, that must be a euro only car.. kinda looks like the focus.. the focus runs about 15k USD base model. so ya, you're getting ripped off.. hehe

That looks like Focus cross with a subaru impreza.

I fear at my current financial state, the only BMW or Mercedes I could realistically afford without sacrificing my lifestyle are the entry level models. I also feel like if I got one, I'd enjoy that "airplane feel" initially, but after 3 or 4 months I'd be wishing I hadn't spent so much money. But that's just me.

Originally posted by Zantra
unless that's a new model, that must be a euro only car.. kinda looks like the focus.. the focus runs about 15k USD base model. so ya, you're getting ripped off.. hehe

Hmmm, AUS=Australian Dollars.
My location is noted as Australia.
I think the XR8 is an AUSTRALIAN product.
Does the focus have a 5.4 ltr 260kw.

ummm.. no.. unless it's maybe the focus SVT... this is defintely nota US model.

ummm.. no.. unless it's maybe the focus SVT... this is defintely nota US model.

It's an AUSTRALIAN car built in AUSTRALIA, for sale in AUSTRALIA@NZ.

CAPEECH YET..?

oops.. sorry I was preoccuppied with women troubles(not my own)

not a problem mate;)

But I wouldn't be surprised if that's a focus chassis.

oops.. sorry I was preoccuppied with women troubles(not my own)

not a problem mate;)

But I wouldn't be surprised if that's a focus chassis.

OK...but the XR8 is 1760KG, the focus is probably about 1300-1400KG, I'd be surprised if they where the same chassis.
AFAIK, the XR8 chassis is built in Aus, and the focus is built in Europe and imported to Aus.

Does the focus have a 5.4 ltr 260kw.
WTF is that all about? we want BHP here not any funny money kw crap.

Last edited:
a few friends have 5's and 7's. They tell me "Trade it before it hits 50,000 or get ready to spend serious $$ for maintainance.

Screw that..I will keep the Lexus.

Originally posted by Andy
WTF is that all about? we want BHP here not any funny money kw crap.

Look mate, if you're British and mentally ill, I can't help you...and for that matter, neither can Johny Wilkenson

KW=1.34HP.
260KW=400HP{approx}

Ha, u sad aussie bastard! we kicked your ass and the scoreline was very flattering to you, we should ahve had several more tries and with abit of luck (like you had all world cup) we would have.

Do England ever score tries..?
BTW, AUS 3 defeated Spain 1{Davis Cup}.

What was lucky about the way the Aussies played against NZ?
A=Nothing, the aussies played great rugby.

Do England ever score tries..?

We got one in the final. And although I am not sure about this because i wa sunable to watch the game due to work, i believe we scored 3 tries against you the last time we played, before the final.

Yeah, yeah.

Get ready for an Australian domination in F 07, as a supportive public get behind GOV@Corporate sponsorship to create new superteam.

WENDEL SAILOR IS THE BEST EVER{BIG DELL}

Last edited:
there will be more English there than french! but i have a feeling it will be New Zealands world cup that year. got some good young players(i think).

Originally posted by Andy
there will be more English there than french! but i have a feeling it will be New Zealands world cup that year. got some good young players(i think).

NZ are no longer psychologically prepared to win big events.