1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Boardreader... what purpose ?

1. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

I ran across this today from a google search. "physics forums rhody", it's almost like this site is cannibalizing PF, even Evo's avatar appears, under "Thread Members". try googling it yourself. I left this open ended to see where it would lead. General comments, opinions from members, moderators, admins, and Greg are most welcomed.

Rhody...

2. jcsd
  3. There are ton's of sites like this that archive forum discussions. I'm really surprised that this is the only one that comes up when you searched.

4. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I've known about it for several years. It's an interesting site. I don't see much cause for concern. It's no different than what Google does. Boardreader clearly displays that the content is not their own and links everything back to PF. In the end they send PF maybe 500 visitors a day.

5. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

I understand, thanks Greg, but the creepy thing to me is that they can somehow link Evo's avatar (No offense Evo) to me. Are these Board readers totally automated, or do they require human intervention to organize and vet content, etc... ?

Rhody... :redface:

6. Greg Bernhardt

The bots are certainly automated for indexing, but they're a big player in the social media community, not some shady underground organization. I'm actually attending a conference next week and one of the speakers is from BoardReader.

7. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

If you get a change to speak to him/her, maybe you could address my question to him/her then, thanks. I didn't mean the site was creepy, I guess it could have crawled my profile and seen I was friend's with Evo, something like that.

Rhody...

8. Greg Bernhardt

What is your exact question? :)

9. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

As I gave it a closer look, it is obvious that Boardreader picked up on a popular recent post with a high number of responses, and was able to find the users I have corresponded with which would explain the Avatar list. One thing I do like about the way things are presented is the brief post history before each post, and affiliated searches using keywords from the title to other links, that is quite slick. We have a thread search feature that pretty much can do the same thing, but I like the way you can briefly review each post in Boardreader.

One question would then be: is a Boardreader Admin required to oversee the mining and recreation of PF's content ? Is the process entirely automated ? If not, what part does the Admin person play, if any, in creating content mined from PF.

Rhody...

10. well... i don't know that i'd place too much stock in the mainstream players either.

http://www.businessinsider.com/well...s-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/09/20/100920fa_fact_vargas?currentPage=all

11. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Makes me feel violated. :frown:

12. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

In what way, the fact that boardreader was able to see that I am friend's with 16 or members here on PF, and then further to figure out that you and I are participants in similar threads ? I am guessing, but I would like to know what criteria it uses to put up the four avatar's it choose (including Evo's), and mugaliens (who is now banned).

Or, in scenario B, Evo, is just pulling my leg, and has no issue with it, so which is it going to be Evo, are you really offended, or just pulling my leg ?

Rhody... :uhh:

13. Evo

The fact that I post here at PF and end up on hundreds of unrelated websites. Makes me want to stop posting anywhere. I want to choose who sees my dirty laundry. :eek:

14. Ryan_m_b

This is yet another example of how I feel everyday life does not map well to the internet. We consider what we say here to be semi-private but in actual fact we might as well be publishing in a national newspaper.

On the brighter side don't say anything mental and you will be ok. On the brighterer side in several hundred years there may be archaeological digital digs into old data archives and this rhody character may end up some sort of historical figure :tongue2:

15. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

Isn't that called being a victim of your own success ? If PF's, hit rate were in the tank so to speak, you wouldn't have to worry about being picked up by other websites, no ? Like ryan just said, "don't say anything mental and you will be ok" is good advice.

Rhody... o:)

16. Evo

I used to tell kids here not to brag about their illegal activities and they would say "no one that matters is going to see this", meaning coming to PF.

I've known that posts here get re-posted elsewhere, but that doesn't stop me from disliking it. I feel that PF is my home, and that the people that browse or post here are, for the most part, a bit above the average, but when you start thinking about your posts ending up who knows where, yuk.

17. Greg Bernhardt

How is this different than what Google does?

18. Evo

It's not knowing where my posts are. I know I can google my posts, and people googling a subject might come across my posts that lead them here. But to just have them posted at who knows how many other sites feels weird.

That's just me. I'm a control freak.

19. Greg Bernhardt

There are more search engines than google you know. Your posts have been accessible in thousands of different places for years :wink:

20. Evo

Yes, I know.

Years ago I found out that there were websites made about me. They were nice, kind of "shrines", but I try not to think about it.

I've also found a site where a disgruntled ex member complained about me. he was angry that I banned him, but what was really funny was that I wasn't the one that banned him. :tongue:

21. Ryan_m_b

Tell me about it! This one seems to be all about you;
    http://www.evo.co.uk/
    Though the fans aren't very good. All they seem to do is take pictures of cars that you own or discuss the merits of your favourite cars (or something like that).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?