1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boat hauling skier

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boat is hauling a 250kg skier at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal with a force of 200 N. How much is the boat accelerating?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am using the F=ma equation. My only question is how does the 30 degrees play into it? Would it be :

200N= 250kg(cos30) * a? with this I get .03m/s. Which seems somewhat accurate since 200N isnt much force at all. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming the 200N force means in the direction of the cable (ie 200N of tension) then then horizontal force on the skier (and so on the boat) is
    200N cos(30) = 173N

Then F = ma ,
    173 = 250 a
    a= 0.69m/s^2

edit - google calculator uses rad for trig functions !!!!!
  4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    Ok. Thanks. That makes sense. At least I had the right equation. Thanks for your help. The 30 degrees threw me off.
  5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of remembering cos / sin etc it's better to picture what's happening

If the rope is horizontal (angle=0) then all the force is being used to slow the boat, as the rope drops less force is being applied horizontally, so you need a trig function that starts at 1 for 0 degrees and slowly gets less = cos()
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?