1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boat in river: vectors

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    Let me know if the following statement is wrong :
    If a boat is going to cross a river directly ( i.e perpendicularly ) the x, horizontal, component of the boat velocity must be cancelled, that's be equal, by the water stream vector.

I followed this idea in a problem but my answer is not true according to the solution manual included in the textbook.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2
    The statement looks right to me (per my understanding). Maybe you have an error somewhere in your calculations. What is the solutions manual's explanation?
  4. Jul 26, 2004 #3
    Here is both the problem and explanation :
    If the water flows at 20 mi/h, and the boat at 30 mi/h in what angle would you head the boat to cut directly across the river?

v_BE cuts directly across the river. Head at v_BW somewhat upstream at an angle Theta such that v_BE = v_BW + v_WE, sin (Theta) = (20 mi/h)/(30 mi/h) = 0.667 so Theta = 42 degrees.

I assumed the horizontal component of v_boat to be 20 mi/h, so the vertical component became 22 mi/h then the sin(Theta) = (22 mi/h)/(30 mi/h) which leads to a Theta equal to 48.
    What is wrong ?
  5. Jul 26, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since the water moves east (I presume) at 20 mi/h, the boat must move at an angle so that its east-west component is 20 mi/h west. Thus [itex]30 cos\theta = 20[/itex], which gives the boat's needed direction as [itex]\theta = 48\deg[/itex] north of west.
  6. Jul 28, 2004 #5

This is my answer too, but the answer in the solutions manual is 42 deg, so you mean that's wrong ?
  7. Jul 28, 2004 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

42 deg with respect to what? Realize that 48 deg N of W = 42 deg W of N. :smile:
  8. Jul 28, 2004 #7

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :redface:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?