Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boat skimming across a lake

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    Could I build a boat that skims across the surface of a lake like a stone and only needs an injection of thrust from an engine now and again to keep it going? Perhaps such a boat would have a rotating outer part and a stationary inner part for passengers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If it would have to spin like the stone, that would be a bit of a tough nut to crack. I can't say I have seen it done, but there's nothing saying it can't. I think there would be a lot of trial and error.

5. Apr 25, 2007 #4
    Well basically if your boat s stable in still state. then a slight motor thrust from te rear should do the trick

6. Apr 25, 2007 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Newton's first law..... if you get the drag down near zero, you won't need much thrust. But even with a hydrofoil or related concept (how 'bout a ground-effect aircraft?), your drag will still be significant.

7. Apr 25, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

There's also the ever-popular wing-in-ground-effect (WIGE) vehicle. It's half-way between a hydroplane and an aeroplane. Google the 'Caspian Sea Monster' for an extreme example. :biggrin:

edit: How'd you sneak in there like that, Russ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  8. Apr 25, 2007 #7
    Well at any drag coefficient, the highest for boat is about 0.3, a motor can handle the job

9. Apr 27, 2007 #8
    Thr rotation of the outer part would need to be countered by the inner part turning slowly or some other way.

10. May 2, 2007 #9
    common ocean racers sorta do that
    the boat flys between waves
    thats why a throttle man is very important
    to keep from over reving and blowing up the hi-powered motors
    when the hull and props leaves the water
    they are faster in waves then in flat water

both hydrofoil and air cussion craft donot skip

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?