Maximizing Boat Trailer Capacity: Redesign Tips & Tricks for Heavy Loads

In summary, the goal of the redesign is to move the weight farther away from the axles, so they can handle the load better. The new supports will need to be 3" square tubes, so the bungs will easily bolt up. Which method of moving the load to the supports is strongest is still up for debate.
Chad Gilchrist
I need a little help on the redesign of our boat trailer, if you guys wouldn't mind giving a little advice. We have a heavy boat [we can assume the boat is 20,000 lbs], and we need to 1] increase the capacity of our axles, and 2] redistribute the loading of the weight. Currently, the weight of the boat is mainly carried directly on the axles. I would like to redistribute the weight to the main aluminum I beams on each side of the trailer, and then support the I beams with the axles. That will move the loading further to the outside of the axles, where they are better able to support the weight. Right now, the loading is too close to the center of the axle, causing them to bow too much. I made rough sketches of the trailer configuration for reference.

The red lines are the bungs that the boat sit on. The red circles are where the bungs are U bolted to the axles. The axles are 3" square steel tubes. The blue line is a 3" square aluminum tube that also supports the bungs, and the bungs are U bolted to this tube at the blue circles.

IMG_3056.JPG

This is an end view, showing the loading of the bungs on the axles. We have to have the bungs in this position, due to water intakes and other features on the bottom of the hull. As you can see, this load should be positioned closer to the wheels in order to allow the axles to correctly support the load.

IMG_3057.JPG

I would like to design, fab, and install 5 supports across the I beams for the bungs, and completely remove the bungs from the axles. Then I will support the I beams with the 3 axles. The new supports will need to be 3" square tubes, so the bungs will easily bolt up. Here are two possible ways to move the loading to the I beams. One is to run the new square support tube under the I beam, weld a piece of angle on each side, and thru bolt it to the underside of the I beam. The other is to run the new square support tube to the inside of the I beam, let the bottom of the beam support this tube, and weld a piece of angle on each side to bolt it thru the center vertical piece of the I beam. I am not sure which method would be stronger.

IMG_3058.JPG

Assuming the boat is 20,000, and that we have 5 support beams, and that each beam supports the boat at two positions, I feel the problem can be summarized by the sketch below, where the red line is the new square suppport tube.

IMG_3059.JPG

My questions revolve around what this tube needs to be to handle the loading. I would prefer aluminum, if it is strong enough, for the corrosion resistance. Can I go with 3" square aluminum tube with a 0.25" wall thickness? Do I need 0.375" wall? Or maybe even 0.500" wall? Should I steel for more strength?

Also, if I bolt the new tube underneath the I beam, the entire load will be supported by stainless steel cap screws. There will be 4 cap screws on each end of the support tube, supporting the 2000 lbs. What will 4 cap screws be able to support, if they are 1/2"? Should they be 5/8"? Or will it be significantly better to rest the end of the support tube on top of the bottom plate of the I beam?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should not ask for any design work on this site. One, you may get horrendous advice wrapped up in a sensible answer. Actually, that is worse than blatant bad advice, which you would know to ignore. Bad things happen when you get backyard engineers involved in a project that will affect the public.
Your trailer you might say...
Will that trailer will be traveling down public roads? and break apart or careen into another car or worse a big yellow bus full of kids...
If you have to ask these types of questions, ask a professional.

Likes berkeman
CalcNerd said:
You should not ask for any design work on this site. One, you may get horrendous advice wrapped up in a sensible answer. Actually, that is worse than blatant bad advice, which you would know to ignore. Bad things happen when you get backyard engineers involved in a project that will affect the public.
Your trailer you might say...
Will that trailer will be traveling down public roads? and break apart or careen into another car or worse a big yellow bus full of kids...
If you have to ask these types of questions, ask a professional.

Thanks for the advice.

1. What are the main reasons for redesigning boat trailers?

The main reasons for redesigning boat trailers are to improve safety, increase efficiency, and enhance user experience. Boat trailers may also be redesigned to accommodate different types of boats or to meet new regulations.

2. How do you determine the appropriate weight capacity for a boat trailer?

The appropriate weight capacity for a boat trailer is determined by calculating the weight of the boat, motor, fuel, and any additional equipment. This total weight should not exceed the maximum weight capacity of the boat trailer, as indicated by the manufacturer.

3. What are the most common materials used in boat trailer construction?

The most common materials used in boat trailer construction are steel, aluminum, and galvanized steel. These materials are chosen for their strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion from water and salt.

4. How can boat trailers be made more aerodynamic?

Boat trailers can be made more aerodynamic by using rounded edges and reducing any protruding parts. The trailer's design should also allow for smooth airflow around the boat and trailer combination while in motion.

5. What safety features should be included in a redesigned boat trailer?

Safety features that should be included in a redesigned boat trailer include proper lighting and reflectors, brakes, and tie-down systems. Other important features may include adjustable bunks or rollers for proper boat support, as well as a sturdy winch and strap for secure loading and unloading.