Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Boat vector physics problem

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two questions but I need help with the second.
    1. A boat can travel at 3.0ms-2 in still water and wishes to travel directly across a river with a current of 1.0ms-1. What direction upstream does the boat need to be steered.
    I got the answer - the boat goes at an 18 [tex]\circ[/tex] and at an direction which I dont know.
    2. If the boat in question 4 heads directly across the river which is 1.0km wide how far downstream will it reach the opposite bank?

2. Relevant equations
    Just Vectors.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I attempted it.
    I had a triangle with the 1.0km across another side.
    I didn't really get that far.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Vectors

If the boat travels at 3 m/s and the current is 1 m/s that means for every 3 meters the boat travels in the perpendicular direction, the current carries it 1 meter in the parallel direction (relative to the shores).

Can you go from there?

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    Re: Vectors

wait isn't that for the first question, i need help on the second question please. Maybe I wasn't clear on the question I have metioned it there, the first question is there because the second one belongs to the first.
    Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook