1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boat vector physics problem

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two questions but I need help with the second.
    1. A boat can travel at 3.0ms-2 in still water and wishes to travel directly across a river with a current of 1.0ms-1. What direction upstream does the boat need to be steered.
    I got the answer - the boat goes at an 18 [tex]\circ[/tex] and at an direction which I dont know.
    2. If the boat in question 4 heads directly across the river which is 1.0km wide how far downstream will it reach the opposite bank?

2. Relevant equations
    Just Vectors.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I attempted it.
    I had a triangle with the 1.0km across another side.
    I didn't really get that far.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Vectors

If the boat travels at 3 m/s and the current is 1 m/s that means for every 3 meters the boat travels in the perpendicular direction, the current carries it 1 meter in the parallel direction (relative to the shores).

Can you go from there?

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    Re: Vectors

wait isn't that for the first question, i need help on the second question please. Maybe I wasn't clear on the question I have metioned it there, the first question is there because the second one belongs to the first.
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook