1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boat Velocity Question

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ferry boat is crossing a river that is 8.5 x 10^2m wide. The average velocity of the waer relative to the shore is 3.8m/s (e) and the average velocity of the boat relative to the water is 4.9m/s (s).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i got the first part down where it says to determine velocity of the ferry boat relative to the shore. I got 6.2m/s [E52*S].

part b) and c) is what i don't get.

b) How long does the crossing take?

c) Determine the displacement of the boat as it crosses from the north shore to the south shore.

Also another thing that confuses me is the velocities. Should it be for example water to shore, shore to boat, boat to water? Instead its like water to shore, boat to water, then it asks boat to shore. I dont know if its big deal but was just wondering cuz in examples in our book it has it going in order if that makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have three vectors, given any two you can calculate third - so order doesn't matter.

You are given distance, you are given velocity, where is the problem with calculating time? I guess velocity of the boat relative to water is perpendicular to shore, which makes calculations pretty simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook