1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boating problem

1. Nov 9, 2003 #1
    Hi everyone…it feels like it has been a while but I have another question? This is dealing with vectors.

Q: A boater wants to cross a river that has a current of 5mph and measures .75 miles in width. If the boat can travel at 20mph through the water, what heading must it take in order to travel from A and arrive directly across the river at B?

A: I was thinking about making about making two right angle triangles back to back (each containing the same measurements) The bottom of the triangle being (.75/2=.375).
    I used the 5mph as deceleration? However, I am not sure if one can do that.

So this is how I tried to solve it…but I think it is wrong!

v v0+at
    v20mph + -5mph (t)
    t4s

y=y0 +v0(t)+.5a(t^2)
    y=0+8.94m/s(4s) +.5(2.2m/s^2)(16)
    y=18.6…but that seems too big so I need help!!!

Thanks,
    Tucky

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2003 #2
    Try vector representation. (The given width, you should recognize, is extraneous information toward finding the heading for linear flow.)

Think of a right triangle with legs of 20 mph and 5 mph, perpendicular and parallel to the river's flow. Find the resultant direction needed to offset the river's velocity.

4. Nov 10, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"I used the 5mph as deceleration? However, I am not sure if one can do that."

Did you really think about this? In the first place the problem says nothing about "acceleration" or "deceleration". In the second, 5 mph is a speed, not an acceleration.

I don't see any reason to draw TWO right triangles. Draw a line directly across the river from A to B- that represents the actual course of the boat. Draw a second line perpendicular to that- straight up the river and mark its length as 5 (mph): that represents the river current.

Now draw the hypotenuse of that triangle and mark its length as 20 (mph): that represents the speed of the boat (Loren Booda had a slight error when he said "legs of 20 mph and 5 mph"). Since you are only asked for the angle, you can use arcsin(5/20).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?