Solving Vectors: Boater Needs to Cross River at 20mph

In summary, to find the heading for the boat to travel from point A to point B directly across a river with a current of 5mph and a width of .75 miles, you can use vector representation to draw a right triangle with legs of 20mph and 5mph representing the boat's speed and the river's current. The angle between the hypotenuse of this triangle and the line directly across the river will give you the heading needed for the boat to offset the river's velocity. You can use arcsin(5/20) to find this angle.
tucky
Hi everyone…it feels like it has been a while but I have another question? This is dealing with vectors.

Q: A boater wants to cross a river that has a current of 5mph and measures .75 miles in width. If the boat can travel at 20mph through the water, what heading must it take in order to travel from A and arrive directly across the river at B?

A: I was thinking about making about making two right angle triangles back to back (each containing the same measurements) The bottom of the triangle being (.75/2=.375).
I used the 5mph as deceleration? However, I am not sure if one can do that.

So this is how I tried to solve it…but I think it is wrong!

v v0+at
v20mph + -5mph (t)
t4s

y=y0 +v0(t)+.5a(t^2)
y=0+8.94m/s(4s) +.5(2.2m/s^2)(16)
y=18.6…but that seems too big so I need help!

Thanks,
Tucky

Physics news on Phys.org
Try vector representation. (The given width, you should recognize, is extraneous information toward finding the heading for linear flow.)

Think of a right triangle with legs of 20 mph and 5 mph, perpendicular and parallel to the river's flow. Find the resultant direction needed to offset the river's velocity.

"I used the 5mph as deceleration? However, I am not sure if one can do that."

Did you really think about this? In the first place the problem says nothing about "acceleration" or "deceleration". In the second, 5 mph is a speed, not an acceleration.

I don't see any reason to draw TWO right triangles. Draw a line directly across the river from A to B- that represents the actual course of the boat. Draw a second line perpendicular to that- straight up the river and mark its length as 5 (mph): that represents the river current.

Now draw the hypotenuse of that triangle and mark its length as 20 (mph): that represents the speed of the boat (Loren Booda had a slight error when he said "legs of 20 mph and 5 mph"). Since you are only asked for the angle, you can use arcsin(5/20).

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. In this scenario, the boater's velocity is a vector because it has a specific speed (magnitude) and direction (across the river).

How do you solve for vectors?

To solve for vectors, you can use vector addition and subtraction, as well as trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine) to determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector. In this scenario, we can use trigonometry to calculate the boater's resulting velocity.

What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in vector calculations?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector calculations, we can use this theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector by squaring and adding the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

What factors affect the boater's ability to cross the river at 20mph?

The boater's velocity is affected by the speed of the current of the river, the angle at which the boater crosses the river, and any other external forces (such as wind) that may alter the direction and speed of the boater's motion.

Can the boater cross the river at an angle other than 90 degrees?

Yes, the boater can cross the river at any angle. The angle at which the boater crosses the river will affect the magnitude and direction of their resulting velocity, but it is still possible to reach a velocity of 20mph across the river at any angle.