How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Boat Relative to Water?

In summary, the problem involves two boat landings 5.1 km apart on the same bank of a stream flowing at 3.4 km/hr. A motorboat completes the round trip in 1.5 hr. The question asks for the speed of the boat relative to the water, which can be found by setting up two equations using distance = speed*time for the boat going upstream and downstream.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

Two boat landings are 5.1 km apart on the
same bank of a streamthat flows at 3.4 km/hr.
A motorboat makes the round trip between
the two landings in 1.5 hr.
What is the speed of the boat relative to
the water? Answer in units of km/hr.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the velocity of the water relative to the shore plus the velocity of the boat relative to shore to equal the velocity of the boat relative to the water.

That would give a right triangle with Vws and Vbs as the legs, and Vbw (what I'm trying to find) as the hypotenuse.

So I get sqrt ( (5.1 / 0.75)^2 + 3.4^2), which is 7.60 and wrong.

Please help me, I don't understand what I am doing wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Elbobo said:
I tried to get the velocity of the water relative to the shore plus the velocity of the boat relative to shore to equal the velocity of the boat relative to the water.
velocity(boat/shore) = velocity(boat/water) + velocity(water/shore)

There's no need for any right triangles, since all velocities are in the same (or opposite) direction.

Hint: Use distance = speed*time
Set up that equation for when the boat's going upstream and for when its going downstream.

Your approach is on the right track, but there is a small mistake in your calculations. The correct answer should be 7.68 km/hr. Here's how you can arrive at that answer:

Let Vws be the velocity of the water relative to the shore, Vbs be the velocity of the boat relative to the shore, and Vbw be the velocity of the boat relative to the water.

We know that Vbs = Vbw + Vws (since the boat's velocity relative to the shore is equal to its velocity relative to the water plus the velocity of the water relative to the shore).

We also know that the distance between the two landings is 5.1 km and the boat makes the round trip in 1.5 hours. This means that the boat travels a total distance of 10.2 km in 1.5 hours, giving us a speed of 6.8 km/hr.

Now, using the Pythagorean theorem, we can write:

Vbw^2 + Vws^2 = Vbs^2

Substituting in the values we know, we get:

Vbw^2 + (3.4 km/hr)^2 = (6.8 km/hr)^2

Solving for Vbw, we get:

Vbw = sqrt(6.8^2 - 3.4^2) = 7.68 km/hr

So the speed of the boat relative to the water is 7.68 km/hr.

1. What is relative velocity in the context of boats?

Relative velocity is the velocity of one boat with respect to another boat. It takes into account both the speed and direction of each boat and is used to determine their overall motion in relation to each other.

2. How is relative velocity calculated for boats?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to subtract the velocity of one boat from the velocity of the other boat. This will give you the relative velocity vector, which represents the motion of one boat as seen from the perspective of the other boat.

3. Can relative velocity affect the collision of two boats?

Yes, relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a potential collision between two boats. If the relative velocity is high, the impact of the collision will be more severe compared to a situation where the relative velocity is low.

4. How does the direction of boats affect their relative velocity?

The direction of boats can greatly impact their relative velocity. If two boats are moving towards each other, their relative velocity will be higher compared to if they are moving in the same direction. Similarly, if the boats are moving at right angles to each other, their relative velocity will be lower.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding relative velocity in boats?

Understanding relative velocity in boats is crucial for safe navigation, especially in busy waterways. It is also important for racing and sports events, as it can help determine the winner of a race. Additionally, understanding relative velocity can aid in predicting the movement of boats in different weather conditions and currents.