1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bob drops some balls.

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    Bob has two balls. He releases one ball from a platform of height H. Just as that ball strikes the ground he releases the next ball from the same height H. Assuming that the first ball bounces perfectly, (i.e. reversing only the direction of its velocity when it strikes the ground), at what height from the ground do the balls strike each other?
    a) H/4
    b) h/2
    c) h/3
    d) 3H/4
    e) none of the above

the answer is d

I thought that when the first ball strikes the ground it has a momentary velocity of zero. And since it bounces "perfectly" it should return with the same velocity it was released with therefore the ball that was released would have the same kinematic properties. ergo they should meet in the middle. I'm so confused.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    Use vertlcal motion for both downward and upward direction balls.
    2 equations 2 unknown, y and t.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    So for ball 1 (the ball that is returning up) my variables are:
    v= (dunno, I think they would be the same for both.)
    v(initial)= 0
    t=?
    a=g
    y=?

and variables for ball 2 are the same. And when I solve the equation i still get H/2

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4
    It is a 1D motion
    One from top with y0=H, v0=0
    On from bottom, with kinetic energy of equal mgh. You can convert this to v0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook