Solving for Bode Critical Frequency: Guide and Equation Explanation

In summary, Bode critical frequency is the frequency at which a system's transfer function begins to decrease, and it can be calculated by finding the frequency at which the phase angle is -45 degrees. It is an important parameter in control systems as it indicates the frequency at which the system starts to exhibit a phase lag and can affect the stability of the system. Bode critical frequency can be changed by adjusting system parameters or using filters in the system.
fractal01
I am given a bode plot and have to label the cutoff frequency on there.
G(jw)=2/(-w^2 +162jw +320)

I got this equation where w is the critical frequency:
70922=81^2 + (170 -(w^2/4))

I am sure that this is wrong since I get the sqrt of a negative number for w.

It would be really great if someone could help!

Physics news on Phys.org
2 is equivalent to (jω)2. So let s = jω and your transfer function becomes:
$$\frac{2}{s^2 + 162s + 320}$$
The denominator has a pair of negative valued roots which should correspond to (angular) frequencies of interest.

1. What is Bode critical frequency?

Bode critical frequency, also known as the corner frequency, is the frequency at which the magnitude of a system's transfer function begins to decrease.

2. How is Bode critical frequency calculated?

Bode critical frequency can be calculated by finding the frequency at which the phase angle of the system's transfer function is equal to -45 degrees.

3. What is the significance of Bode critical frequency in control systems?

Bode critical frequency is an important parameter in control systems as it indicates the frequency at which the system starts to exhibit a phase lag. It is used to analyze and design stable control systems.

4. How does Bode critical frequency affect the stability of a system?

If the Bode critical frequency is too low, it can lead to instability in the system as the phase lag will become larger at higher frequencies. On the other hand, if the Bode critical frequency is too high, the system may become too sensitive to disturbances.

5. Can Bode critical frequency be changed?

Yes, Bode critical frequency can be changed by altering the parameters of the system, such as the gain or time constant. It can also be changed by using filters in the system to adjust the frequency response.