Understanding Body Diagonals of a Cube

• Thread starter Disar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Cube
In summary, Disar tells the person that they need to use the dot product of the vectors to find the angle between the body diagonals of a cube. He also provides a diagram to help with the process.
Disar
Can anyone out there tell me what the body diagonals of a cube are.
I am asked to find the angle between the body diagonals of a cube. Seeing as how it is just the application of the dot product it does not seem difficult other than I do not know what body diagonals are (I have an idea but would like to know from someone for sure).

Physics news on Phys.org
Found it! The body diagonals of a cube are the from one point on a cube to the next and the angle between them is 90 degrees (they bisect one another)
Should of looked first

I have the same problem, yet, I still can't picture it.

slice the cube through the intersecting diagonal... the shape that is left is like an "incline plane". or imagine a table with square top, and square sides and square base with the legs intersecting.

overseastar said:
I have the same problem, yet, I still can't picture it.
It's the thing in these pictures:

http://library.thinkquest.org/22494/images/cubi.jpg

http://www.mathaware.org/mam/00/master/essays/B3D/2/JPG/figure16.jpg

In the second picture, it's the "longer diagonal".

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to be getting an answer of 45 degrees which isn't right...

When drawing the vectors in the case within the cube, do they have to be from the same origin?

nvm, thanks for your help~!

Did you get the correct answer?

i used a unit cube.
with one diagonal at (0 0 1) (1 1 0)
the other diagonal at (0 0 0) (1 1 1)
but it doesn't work, hmmm...for a sec i thought i did get it.

overseastar said:
i used a unit cube.
with one diagonal at (0 0 1) (1 1 0)
the other diagonal at (0 0 0) (1 1 1)
Good, now find the vectors describing the diagonals using the vectors given above, representing their end-points.

but it doesn't work, hmmm...for a sec i thought i did get it.
What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? What doesn't work?

The answer written by Disar is incorrect.

oh, if that's the case, I think I got it LOL Thanks a bunch!

I went to my professor about this problem and he told me to use A=x+y+z and B= -x+y+z, naming one of the body diagonals A, and the other body diagonal B. I'm a bit confused how to take the 4 points above to make them fit the A and B my prof gave me. Can anyone help me with this please?? Thanks

Gokul43201 said:
Good, now find the vectors describing the diagonals using the vectors given above, representing their end-points.

What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? What doesn't work?

The answer written by Disar is incorrect.

Can you help me? I still don't get it, thanks

1. What are the body diagonals of a cube?

The body diagonals of a cube are the line segments that connect opposite corners of the cube. There are a total of four body diagonals in a cube.

2. How do you calculate the length of a body diagonal in a cube?

The length of a body diagonal in a cube can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the diagonal (d) is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the cube's edge length (a). In equation form, it is represented as d = √(a^2 + a^2 + a^2).

3. What is the relationship between a cube's edge length and its body diagonal length?

The length of a cube's body diagonal is equal to the square root of three times its edge length. In other words, the length of a body diagonal is approximately 1.732 times the length of one of its edges.

4. Can a cube have more than four body diagonals?

No, a cube can only have four body diagonals. This is because a cube has six faces, and each face can only have one diagonal. Therefore, four faces x one diagonal per face = four body diagonals.

5. What is the purpose of knowing the body diagonals of a cube?

Knowing the body diagonals of a cube can be useful in various applications, such as in construction and engineering. It can also be used to calculate the volume and surface area of a cube, as well as in geometry and spatial visualization.