Anyone else have weird body hair?

In summary, most people have hair on their chests, backs, and legs, but there is a big difference between people's hair patterns. Some people have a lot of hair, some people don't, and some people have hair on specific body parts that is not common.
Smurf
Okay this is weird. I have the hairiest legs out of everyone I know my age, yet my chest and back are as bare as a baby's bottom (with the exception of a small patch directly below my belly button - oh and a few around my nipples). I also have the fastest growing, curliest head of hair anywhere. But my facial hair is few and far between (Meh, I just shave off the little I have anyways - if I had more there'd just be more to shave)

It's like there's this big void between my waist and the top of my head that hair just refuses to grow in, so they all move north and (mostly) south instead... Maybe it's the tropical climate that attracts them.

Anyone else have weird body hair?

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: :rofl: Sorry, vivid mental image. :rofl:

I have the hairiest legs and arms in my family. Even my friends sometimes call me a bear. I also have a small patch of hair right in middle of my chest.

Ooh Arms! My arms are totally bare except for for some hair around my wrists, but it doesn't even go all the way around, it only cover's 3/4 of my wrist and makes very distinct lines where it ends. All or nothing.

Mine's pretty much uniformly distributed:

Address:http://students.washington.edu/arms/pics/BigFoot.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew a guy who had a thick, well groomed pelt on the back of his shoulders..

I have a friend who claims he isn't looseing hair, its just moving down to his back. He didn't have much body hair until he was in his 30's. Now he gets his neck and upper back waxed, because the stubble of razor cut hair makes him crazy when it grows back.

Well, I've got the Mike Myers type of chest adornment; I wouldn't dream of shaving it off.

I bet it keeps you warmer in the winter too.

hypatia said:
I have a friend who claims he isn't looseing hair, its just moving down to his back. He didn't have much body hair until he was in his 30's. Now he gets his neck and upper back waxed, because the stubble of razor cut hair makes him crazy when it grows back.
I don't get the waxing part, although apparently hairless torsos are in now with the younger males. IMO, Hair is 'natural'.

I am probably unique, at least by American standards, but I do not mind hair on a woman's body or extremeties. I don't understand why women feel compelled to shave their arms, legs or anywhere else. For me its 'unnatural'.

Then again, I tend to go against social conventions as a matter of principle. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I am probably unique, at least by American standards, but I do not mind hair on a woman's body or extremeties. I don't understand why women feel compelled to shave their arms, legs or anywhere else. For me its 'unnatural'.
You're not unique. I agree with this. Except in the case of beards and moustaches.

I got very hairy, very quickly when I was a teenager. I'm only averagely hairy now, but I have got an uninterrupted line of hair going from my head to my toes!

Got an annoying bald spot just under my chin, which makes my beards look a bit odd. But the hair on my cheeks grows in kinda crop circles, it's very exciting.

Oh, and I have a 3 inch hair growing from the site of my TB jab on my upper arm, that's a good one!

hypatia said:
... He didn't have much body hair until he was in his 30's.

At some point during my 30s, my torso hair started to get thicker. It wasn't so bad until I saw a photograph someone took of me at the beach and I noticed what looked like two dark pom-poms attached to my shoulders. I do a little trimming nowadays.

Astronuc said:
I don't get the waxing part, although apparently hairless torsos are in now with the younger males. IMO, Hair is 'natural'.

Then again, I tend to go against social conventions as a matter of principle. :biggrin:
I'm the same way with body odour. Deodorant is unnatural. There such a thing as washing too often too (but more than once a year evo!)

Smurf said:
I'm the same way with body odour. Deodorant is unnatural. There such a thing as washing too often too (but more than once a year evo!)
Same here. I don't mind a woman's natural scent. I am a bit primal in that regard. :biggrin:

Evo does have a great sense of humor. :smile:

Astro, while we're on the topic, go and have a look at the "beard makes you cooler" thread in GP.

Mission accomplished. :biggrin:

Actually, I haven't shaved since June 1981. :biggrin:

I also don't use men's colognes, which by the way, reek! :yuck:

And my nose is very sensitive to smell, so most women's perfumes are to my nose as would be someone screaming in my ears. Unfortunately, as people age (really this is elderly men and women) and the sense of smell decreases, they tend to overuse perfumes/colognes.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I prefer natural scent to artificial odors (perfumes). So ladies, don't waste your money. :biggrin:

I'm thinking of braiding my ear hair.

I have fairly even hair distribution (except on the top of my head :grumpy:) and I have one of those continuous lines of torso hair that goes from neck to groin. My wife tells me it's sexy :blushing:

Astronuc said:
Mission accomplished. :biggrin:

Actually, I haven't shaved since June 1981. :biggrin:

I also don't use men's colognes, which by the way, reek! :yuck:

And my nose is very sensitive to smell, so most women's perfumes are to my nose as would be someone screaming in my ears. Unfortunately, as people age (really this is elderly men and women) and the sense of smell decreases, they tend to overuse perfumes/colognes.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I prefer natural scent to artificial odors (perfumes). So ladies, don't waste your money. :biggrin:
:approve: I have never used Cologne, deodorant or any product to alter my smell. If I start to smell bad I just use good 'ol soap and water.

Nor have I ever bought perfume for a girl, although my last girlfriend used to wear this green tea chinese smell stuff thingy, despite my objections.

However, I shaved last night, I'm a clean shaven kind of guy, facial hair isn't for me.

1. Why do some people have weird body hair patterns?

There are several factors that can contribute to unusual body hair patterns, including genetics, hormonal imbalances, and medical conditions.

2. Is it normal to have patches of body hair that grow in different directions?

Yes, it is normal for body hair to grow in different directions and patterns. This is often determined by genetics and can vary from person to person.

3. Can changes in body hair be a sign of a health problem?

In some cases, yes. Changes in body hair, such as sudden excessive growth or loss, can be a sign of an underlying health issue such as hormonal imbalances or thyroid problems. It is important to consult a doctor if you notice any significant changes in your body hair.

4. How can I manage or remove weird body hair?

There are various methods for managing or removing body hair, such as shaving, waxing, laser hair removal, or using hair removal creams. It is important to choose a method that works best for you and to follow proper safety precautions.

5. Will removing body hair make it grow back thicker or darker?

No, this is a common myth. Removing body hair will not change its texture or color. However, hair may appear to be thicker or darker when it is shorter because it has a blunt edge rather than a tapered one.