1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Body moving with constant accelration over two equal segmants given time find accerla

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    " A body moving with constant acceleration travels consecutively over two equal 10m segments of its path S. Find the acceleration "a" of the body and its speed v(not) at the start of the first segment, if the first segment is traversed in t(1) = 1.06 seconds and the second in t(2) = 2.2 seconds "

2. Relevant equations
    equations I have defined :
    http://i41.tinypic.com/o5zwwn.jpg

I also know the acceleration is going to be negative since it takes longer for the body to cross the second segment of equal distance. The body is slowing down

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://i40.tinypic.com/wmmdyx.jpg

I am having trouble eliminating the v(0).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Body moving with constant accelration over two equal segmants given time find acc

Given the approach you've started with, I think the simplest thing to do would be to use your first equation (the one for S1) and use it to solve for v0 in terms of known quantities:[tex]v_0 = \frac{S_1}{t_1} - \frac{at_1}{2}[/tex]If you take this expression for v0 and plug it into the second equation for S2, then you'll have an equation that contains only a, and other known quantities. You can then solve for a.

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    Re: Body moving with constant accelration over two equal segmants given time find acc

Thank you cepheid I was able to solve the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook