Body Transplant: Can We Have One? - RT News

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary: Canavero says in a press release.The monkey, which was transplanted with the head of a deceased monkey, survived for around five hours after the surgery."The head transplant was carried out on a monkey, and the monkey survived for around 5 hours.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://rt.com/news/248473-transplant-head-body-canavero/

what do you think about this, if it is true can i have one mines knakered

Likes atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
Well... why not? You can argue that a healthy body can be used to save more than one life if multiple organs are used somewhere, but having the option of such a head transplant is certainly interesting. Independent of the outcome, I guess there is much we can learn about human biology.

I don't share the optimisim of the surgeon, however - if connecting two parts of the spinal cord would be that easy, there would be a long list of people waiting for it. They probably have perfect conditions here, but that will still be a very critical part, together with the usual issues of transplanted body parts.

wolram said:

He seems like a very nice, smart young man.
I think they should do the procedure on about 200-300 MPs first.
It would be a shame to practice this first, on someone with a functioning brain.

OmCheeto said:
He seems like a very nice, smart young man.
I think they should do the procedure on about 200-300 MPs first.
It would be a shame to practice this first, on someone with a functioning brain.
LOL

wolram said:

RT is not an acceptable source, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Many experts in associated fields have criticized his claims already:

https://www.braindecoder.com/please-dont-take-the-head-transplant-surgeon-seriously-1085090918.html

Last edited:
Likes Evo
I have dissowned this post, if i get an infraction it'''''''''''''''''''''''''s not my fault:frown:

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
I have dissowned this post, if i get an infraction it'''''''''''''''''''''''''s not my fault:frown:
Awww, you're not getting an infraction.

Evo said:
RT is not an acceptable source, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

It does have origins from an apparently legitimate source:

American Academy of Neurological & Orthopaedic Surgeons

Next Meeting
Join Us for the Academy’s 39th Annual Scientific Meeting
June 12-13, 2015 – Westin Hotel, Annapolis, MD
Preliminary Program
Keynote Lecture
HEAVEN-GEMINI: Head Transplantation: The Future Is Now
Sergio Canavero, MD, Director, Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, Turin, Italy (Click here to read article in New Scientist Magazine)

A comment in the New Scientist Magazine seems to confirm Pythagorean's statement:

First human head transplant could happen in two years
New Scientist Magazine
25 February 2015
Unsurprisingly, the surgical community is also wary of embracing the idea. Many surgeons contacted by New Scientist refused to comment on the proposed project, or said it sounded "too outlandish" to be a serious consideration.

Seems it's just a sensationalist ploy to get attention. No one is taking it seriously.

Unsurprisingly, the surgical community is also wary of embracing the idea. Many surgeons contacted by New Scientist refused to comment on the proposed project, or said it sounded "too outlandish" to be a serious consideration.

"This is such an overwhelming project, the possibility of it happening is very unlikely," says Harry Goldsmith, a clinical professor of neurological surgery at the University of California, Davis, who has performed one of the few surgeries that enabled someone with a spinal cord injury to regain the ability to walk. "I don't believe it will ever work, there are too many problems with the procedure. Trying to keep someone healthy in a coma for four weeks – it's not going to happen."

Nick Rebel, executive director of the US branch of the International College of Surgeons, says that although his organisation, along with the AANOS, is giving Canavero a stage, it is not sponsoring his ideas.
"We're creating a venue for him to launch the project. There will be a lot of top international surgeons at the conference and we shall see whether it is well received or not."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530103.700-first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-two-years.html?full=true#.VO-HQCzX51p

"This magazine article is only available to paid subscribers "

mfb said:
"This magazine article is only available to paid subscribers "
hmmm maybe it's a country block because I can read with without logging in or having a subscription.

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm maybe it's a country block because I can read with without logging in or having a subscription.
I read it with no problem.
Here are the raw notes I've extracted over the last 2 hours:

Gemini: spinal cord fusion
Heaven: HEad Anastomosis VENture
----
my transcription rom the video, where "The Doctor" describes the spinal chord:
t≈3:00
A bundle of one million fibers, all of them necessary, for movements to occur, just like spaghetti.

For movements to occur, you really need all of them. In the spinal cord, the spaghetti come in contact with specialized cells called motor neurons. These are the cells, that make you move.

If this were the true story, I wouldn't be here. But the story, is, plenty different. I welcome you, to HEAVEN...
-----------

Another article
Head transplant carried out on monkey, claims maverick surgeon
19 January 2016
"Canavero says Kim’s work shows that the spinal cord can re-fuse if it is cut cleanly in the presence of polyethylene glycol (PEG), a chemical that preserves nerve cell membranes. “These experiments prove once and for all that simply using PEG, you can see partial recovery,” he says."

--------
wiki on Polyethylene glycol
  • The injection of PEG 2000 into the bloodstream of guinea pigs after spinal cord injury leads to rapid recovery through molecular repair of nerve membranes.[17] The effectiveness of this treatment to prevent paraplegia in humans after an accident is not known yet.
  • PEG is being used in the repair of motor neurons damaged in crush or laceration incidents in vivo and in vitro. When coupled with melatonin, 75% of damaged sciatic nerves were rendered viable.[18]

[17] R. B. Borgens and D. Bohnert (2001). "Rapid recovery from spinal cord injury after subcutaneously administered polyethylene glycol". Journal of Neuroscience Research 66 (6): 1179–1186. doi:10.1002/jnr.1254. http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11746451 [Broken].

[18] G. Bittner el. al. (2005). "Melatonin enhances the in vitro and in vivo repair of severed rat sciatic axons". Neouroscience Letters 376 (2): 98–101. doi:10.1016/j.neulet.2004.11.033. http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15698928 [Broken]
Of course, as a notaneuroscientist, I just look at all this, shake my head and say; "Looks like science fiction to me".

Last edited by a moderator:
They have successfully done this to monkeys but they were paralyzed from the neck down and did not live long.

Flatland said:
but they were paralyzed from the neck down and did not live long.
So that wasn't exactly a success, was it?

ProfuselyQuarky said:

Well it was in the sense that he was able to cross connect things between two different orgasms to sustain life. I don't remember if it was circulatory or nervous system or both, but the problem that he was solving when he did that expeirment was that two organisms of the same species aren't 1-to-1 the number of veins and nerves connecting my head to my neck is different than yours, so if we swapped heads, the surgeon would have to figure out, on the spot, how to match any "spare" or "crossed" hardware as it were.

But before we question the validity of it, I think the ethics are the bigger issue.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Even if became possible to successfully rewire the nervous system, I can't see that this procedure would be practiced.
As with any other transplant the donor and recipient would need to be genetically similar.
The person whose head is to be transplanted presumably is in a terminal condition and could die soon of heart failure or something, probably sooner than a suitable fully functional body but which is brain dead could be found.
Think of the logistics too - the body, let's presume the victim of a car crash or similar, would have to be delivered to the operating theatre within an hour at the most, and a team of very highly skilled surgeons + support staff would need to be permanently on standby ready to do the job at any time without notice or any time to prepare.

Likes Evo
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Well how do you define success? The monkeys did survive for a period of time. For example people with organ transplants have severely reduced life expectancy (for the most part). Would you consider that a success or failure?

Flatland said:
Well how do you define success?
For one thing, they were paralyzed from the neck down. Applying that to a human, wouldn't that be almost worst than death? You're completely dependent on other people (most likely your family) and you can never do anything else on your own. You may live longer, but that time is spent in suffering. Yeah, it's great that the procedure prolonged the life of the monkeys for a bit, but I don't think that those results are "enough" for people.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
For one thing, they were paralyzed from the neck down. Applying that to a human, wouldn't that be almost worst than death? You're completely dependent on other people (most likely your family) and you can never do anything else on your own. You may live longer, but that time is spent in suffering. Yeah, it's great that the procedure prolonged the life of the monkeys for a bit, but I don't think that those results are "enough" for people.

I get your point but we still have to start somewhere. Again this is more of a morality question.

Flatland said:
I get your point but we still have to start somewhere. Again this is more of a morality question.
Yes, it is a step--a great one--I was just saying that it wasn't a success based on the standards that would make it possible and moral to do it on people.

This topic is as bad as the cloning controversy ... bio class sure lost a leg and arm about that one.

ProfuselyQuarky said:

I think that it depends on what you do afterward, I know this example does not quite match but at least it is a bit similar: I think that Stephen Hawking is happy to be alive, but maybe that is a function of his accomplishments. I am not sure.

Hoophy said:
I think that it depends on what you do afterward, I know this example does not quite match but at least it is a bit similar: I think that Stephen Hawking is happy to be alive, but maybe that is a function of his accomplishments. I am not sure.
I think that Stephen Hawking's situation is different than what "common" people would experience. Hawking is famous and brilliant with millions of followers seeking his opinion--he's still got a life to live. That's much different compared to the majority of people.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I think that Stephen Hawking's situation is different than what "common" people would experience. Hawking is famous and brilliant with millions of followers seeking his opinion--he's still got a life to live. That's much different compared to the majority of people.

Yeah, I can agree with you there.

What about being able to upload the mind to another brain? Will that ever be possible?

Jupiter60 said:
What about being able to upload the mind to another brain? Will that ever be possible?
That depends on whether a 'mind' is or is not a product (even partly) of the physical brain.
Nobody knows, but I suspect that it is, (partly at least)

Jupiter60 said:

That sure scares me!

Hoophy said:
That sure scares me!
Me too, imagine what 'terrorists' could do with any such technology - threaten to turn everybody into the same personality!

Likes Hoophy and ProfuselyQuarky
rootone said:
Me too, imagine what 'terrorists' could do with any such technology - threaten to turn everybody into the same personality!

Or an elite class living forever, getting wealthier, and increasing the divide while preventing the poor from using such technology! The population of Earth could be split into the 'slaves' and the 'masters'. Imagine a malevolent dictator who oppresses and slaughters his subjects, now imagine he can and WILL live forever. -shivers-

Likes rootone
As far as I know, political debate is discouraged here.
Nevertheless there may be a day when the servers collectively arise to revolt against the clients. :))

Likes Hoophy

1. What is a body transplant?

A body transplant, also known as a full body transplant or whole body transplant, is a medical procedure in which a person's entire body is replaced by a donor body. This involves transferring the brain and other vital organs from the recipient's body into the donor body.

2. Is a body transplant possible?

Currently, a full body transplant has not been successfully performed on humans. While there have been some successful partial body transplants, such as hand and face transplants, the technology and techniques for a full body transplant are still being developed and are not yet advanced enough for human trials.

3. What are the potential benefits of a body transplant?

A body transplant could potentially benefit individuals with severe disabilities or diseases that affect the entire body, such as quadriplegia or full-body paralysis. It could also potentially extend the lifespan of individuals with terminal illnesses by giving them a healthy body to live in.

4. What are the ethical considerations surrounding a body transplant?

The concept of a body transplant raises many ethical concerns, including the definition of death and the rights and autonomy of the donor and recipient. There are also concerns about the potential for abuse, such as wealthy individuals using the procedure to extend their lives at the expense of others.

5. What are the challenges of performing a body transplant?

There are several challenges that need to be overcome before a successful body transplant can be performed. These include finding a suitable donor body, preventing rejection of the transplanted organs, and successfully reconnecting the spinal cord and nervous system to the new body.