Bodybuilding Questions: Stretching, Warming Up & Quick Lifts

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
In summary, the CPT advises against stretching before a workout and suggests warming up with a light jog or other dynamic movements. The video shows normal lifting techniques, which can vary depending on individual goals such as strength or muscle building.
OAQfirst
One: My CPT tells me that stretching before a workout is wrong. That we should stretch after, though warming up beforehand with a run is good. Does this make sense?

Two: In this video, would these kind of quick lifts (starting at 1:15) really do anything for me? Shouldn't they always be smooth and controlled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIN6mJS5Tk&feature=related

(sorry about the music)

Physics news on Phys.org
OAQfirst said:
One: My CPT tells me that stretching before a workout is wrong. That we should stretch after, though warming up beforehand with a run is good. Does this make sense?

Yes. Studies have shown that your strength decreases by some percent (I think it was 5-15 or something) if you do any significant stretching before lifting.

There is no risk hazard in not stretching, either, because you're going through a normal range of motion when you do a lift. Any injuries that occur happen in that normal range of motion.

You do still need to warm up, though. Just not by stretching. Quick jog, some light pushups or something.

Two: In this video, would these kind of quick lifts (starting at 1:15) really do anything for me? Shouldn't they always be smooth and controlled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIN6mJS5Tk&feature=related

(sorry about the music)

Those aren't quick lifts. They look pretty normal. You should lift based on your goals. A wrestler, for example, would do even quicker lifts (after significant warmup, and not too often, either), because it mimics wrestling moves. A power lifter might go slower, to make the moves as efficient as possible and therefore make him able to lift more. A bodybuilder can go even slower depending on the latest fad they are trying to follow.

I cannot provide personal opinions or advice on bodybuilding techniques. However, I can provide information based on research and scientific evidence.

Regarding the first question, there is ongoing debate about whether stretching before or after a workout is more beneficial. Some studies suggest that stretching before a workout can decrease muscle strength and power, while others suggest that it can improve flexibility and reduce the risk of injury. Ultimately, the best approach may vary depending on individual preferences and goals. It is important to listen to your CPT's advice and also do your own research to determine what works best for you.

As for the second question, the quick lifts demonstrated in the video may have some benefits in terms of improving power and explosiveness. However, it is important to note that proper form and technique are crucial in preventing injury and maximizing results. Quick lifts should always be done with control and proper form to ensure safety and effectiveness. It is always recommended to consult with a certified trainer or coach for guidance on proper form and technique for any type of exercise.

1. What are the benefits of stretching before a bodybuilding workout?

Stretching before a bodybuilding workout can help improve flexibility and range of motion, reduce the risk of injury, and increase blood flow to the muscles. It can also help to mentally prepare for the workout and improve overall performance.

2. How long should I stretch before a bodybuilding workout?

The length of time for stretching before a bodybuilding workout can vary, but typically 5-10 minutes is recommended. It is important to listen to your body and not overstretch, as this can lead to injury.

3. Is it necessary to warm up before lifting weights?

Yes, warming up before lifting weights is important to prepare the muscles and joints for the upcoming workout. It can also help to prevent injury and improve performance.

4. What are some examples of quick lifts in bodybuilding?

Quick lifts in bodybuilding refer to exercises that involve explosive movements, such as power cleans, snatches, and box jumps. These lifts can help to improve power and strength.

5. Should I stretch after a bodybuilding workout?

Yes, stretching after a bodybuilding workout can help to improve flexibility, reduce soreness, and aid in muscle recovery. It is recommended to hold stretches for at least 30 seconds to get the full benefits.