Boeing 737 Max MCAS System

In summary, the MCAS system was not the cause of the crash and it is possible for the plane to fly without the system if the angle of attack sensor is not working correctly. However, the plane is more likely to stall if the angle of attack sensor is not working correctly and the pilots need to manually fly the plane back to correct pitch attitude.
anorlunda said:
In this thread alone there seems to be different opinions about failures of AOA sensors in the Lion Air Crash.

Had anybody seen claims of sensor failure on Lion Air that are based on the FDR data rather than speculation by journalists?

I have not seen the data but on a press conference a ministry of transportation safety or something stated that in the Lion Air case, the MCAS was in error due to a faulty AOA sensor. As I understand the investigation may still be ongoing however.

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
In this thread alone there seems to be different opinions about failures of AOA sensors in the Lion Air Crash.

Had anybody seen claims of sensor failure on Lion Air that are based on the FDR data rather than speculation by journalists?

Even if the AOA sensor was the cause in the Lion air case, it seems hard to believe that all reported problems with the MCAS is due to sensor failure. For example like the article referenced earlier:
fresh_42 said:
See heading: Pilots on U.S. routes had reported concerns about the Max 8

cyboman said:
The more I read about these reports the more I'm less inclined to believe it's always a faulty sensor. I think there is a much deeper flaw in the design of the MCAS system.

You have to be careful to distinguish MCAS issues from autopilot issues. The reports referenced in the NY Times article were about uncommanded pitch down events with autopilot engaged. That's not an MCAS issue. Based on the similarity with the Airbus incidents of uncommanded pitch down, I suspect those autopilot incidents were due to faulty AoA sensor data not being spotted as faulty. But it's true that, since those pilot reports have not been investigated to pin down a root cause, we don't know that for sure. It's possible that your suspicions about other flaws somewhere in the automated systems are correct.

cyboman said:
I'm getting confused with how the MCAS is trying to prevent a stall

It's not. Again, there are different automated functions involved that it's important to keep distinguished. We've talked about three of them in this thread:

(1) Autopilot, which basically means getting the plane to a desired altitude, airspeed, and heading and keeping it there. This includes climb to cruise altitude, cruise, and descend to landing.

(2) Automatic stall prevention, which means detecting when the angle of attack is too high and automatically pitching the nose down.

(3) MCAS, which is a manual system designed to constantly input some amount of nose down trim to make the 737 MAX feel to the pilot like previous 737 models.

All three of these functions rely on accurate AoA sensor data, but the functions themselves are separate and are there for different purposes.

Likes sandy stone, CWatters and Klystron
PeterDonis said:
It's not. Again, there are different automated functions involved that it's important to keep distinguished. We've talked about three of them in this thread:

(1) Autopilot, which basically means getting the plane to a desired altitude, airspeed, and heading and keeping it there. This includes climb to cruise altitude, cruise, and descend to landing.

(2) Automatic stall prevention, which means detecting when the angle of attack is too high and automatically pitching the nose down.

(3) MCAS, which is a manual system designed to constantly input some amount of nose down trim to make the 737 MAX feel to the pilot like previous 737 models.

All three of these functions rely on accurate AoA sensor data, but the functions themselves are separate and are there for different purposes.

Right, that helps. Thank you for that clarification. I was conflating 2 and 3.

It does seem that MCAS pulls the nose down if the AOA is too high, thereby preventing a stall. So doesn't MCAS overlap with stall prevention in that way?

cyboman said:
It does seem that MCAS pulls the nose down if the AOA is too high, thereby preventing a stall.

Not really. What the MCAS does is add nose down trim to compensate for the pitch up moment due to the new engines. No compensation is needed at low AoA; it's only needed at higher AoA. But adding nose down trim is not the same as pulling the nose down; the pilot can still push the nose up with the yoke, he just has to push harder if the MCAS is adding nose down trim. So, for example, if the pilot really wanted to stall the aircraft, he could keep pulling harder on the yoke to push the nose up, despite MCAS--and then, if automatic stall prevention were active, it would eventually kick in and force the nose down regardless of the pilot's input. Which is something different from what the MCAS was doing. (All this assumes accurate AoA sensor data.)

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy and russ_watters
PeterDonis said:
Regarding earlier posts about cockpit indications, it looks like Southwest took steps after the Lion Air crash to add an optional avionics package to their 737 MAX aircraft that includes an AoA display in the cockpit to help pilots identify possible AoA sensor errors:

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-...le-of-attack-indicators-to-its-737-max-fleet/

That seems like a good implementation to the GUI. Sort of surprised it's not there by default.

PeterDonis said:
Not really. What the MCAS does is add nose down trim to compensate for the pitch up moment due to the new engines. No compensation is needed at low AoA; it's only needed at higher AoA. But adding nose down trim is not the same as pulling the nose down; the pilot can still push the nose up with the yoke, he just has to push harder if the MCAS is adding nose down trim. So, for example, if the pilot really wanted to stall the aircraft, he could keep pushing harder on the yoke, despite MCAS--and then, if automatic stall prevention were active, it would eventually kick in and force the nose down regardless of the pilot's input. Which is something different from what the MCAS was doing. (All this assumes accurate AoA sensor data.)

Again, thanks for clarifying.

cyboman said:
Sort of surprised it's not there by default.

Yes, this would seem to be exactly the sort of thing that should have been in the base aircraft, not an optional package.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, this would seem to be exactly the sort of thing that should have been in the base aircraft, not an optional package.

I guess that's why "Boeing did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

cyboman said:
To confirm, are you saying there is a mechanical device, AMT, that controls pitch which the pilot has no control over?
Not quite.

On a typical light aircraft, glider or model aircraft you have a fixed horizontal tail plane with hinged movable elevators behind.

On a supersonic jet fighter you don't have separate tail and elevators, instead its all one surface called an All Moving Tail.

On many passenger jets you have a combination of both. There is a tail plane and separate elevators but both can move. I might be wrong but as I understand it typically the pilot controls the elevators and the electronic flight systems control the angle of the tail plane. The pilot can also control the tail plane via the manual trim wheel.

I have difficulty articulating my concern about this. The AMT part of a passenger aircraft has to have quite a large movement to cope with the wide speed range of modern aircraft. Likewise the range of movement of the elevator has to vary depending on speed and configuration so as to provide enough control at low speed but not too much at higher speeds. There are quite complicated laws/equations that determines how much elevator travel is produced for any given input by the pilot. It's no longer a simple relationship.

A heck of a lot of engineering goes into these systems and I'm sure engineers will say they have thought of all the failure modes and have written procedures for pilots to follow, but when accidents happen we scratch our heads and wonder why the pilots didn't do x or y. Perhaps things are just too complicated?

All 737 Max grounded !

Looks like something nasty has shown up in the flight data...

Truly, advances in safety are too-often bought in blood...

A very interesting article by a pilot giving good details on not just the 737 MAX MCAS system but the more general subject of automated trim adjustments, how a plane feels to the pilot, certification requirements for systems, and the impact of fly-by-wire systems on all this:

https://airfactsjournal.com/2019/03/can-boeing-trust-pilots/

Note: AFAIK the 737 series as a whole does not have fly-by-wire (FBW). However, MCAS on the 737 MAX introduces some of the issues of FBW by automating the trim adjustment, which makes what is said about FBW in this article relevant to the MCAS discussion.

CWatters said:
On many passenger jets you have a combination of both. There is a tail plane and separate elevators but both can move.
You can see the AMT feature and separate elevators in this photo from Google Images...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Qantas_Boeing_737-800_Registration_on_tail.jpg

Qantas_Boeing_737-800_Registration_on_tail.jpg

Attachments

• Qantas_Boeing_737-800_Registration_on_tail.jpg
    Qantas_Boeing_737-800_Registration_on_tail.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 997
CWatters said:
A heck of a lot of engineering goes into these systems and I'm sure engineers will say they have thought of all the failure modes and have written procedures for pilots to follow, but when accidents happen we scratch our heads and wonder why the pilots didn't do x or y. Perhaps things are just too complicated?

I think this alludes to the somewhat fuzzy line between these control systems which are computer aided, due to forces required / hydraulics and in turn for force feedback compared to pure fly-by-wire systems. I would suggest the more complex the computer intermediary in the control systems, the closer it is becoming fly-by-wire. Add an autopilot and more complex systems like MCAS (that in this case pilots are not even aware of) and the line is quite blurry indeed.

PeterDonis said:
A very interesting article by a pilot giving good details on not just the 737 MAX MCAS system but the more general subject of automated trim adjustments, how a plane feels to the pilot, certification requirements for systems, and the impact of fly-by-wire systems on all this:

https://airfactsjournal.com/2019/03/can-boeing-trust-pilots/

Note: AFAIK the 737 series as a whole does not have fly-by-wire (FBW). However, MCAS on the 737 MAX introduces some of the issues of FBW by automating the trim adjustment, which makes what is said about FBW in this article relevant to the MCAS discussion.

This was a fascinating article. A pilot in the comment section notes that the articles concise description of MCAS is good: "That pitches the nose down and gives the pilot the stick force to know that he is pulling too close to the stall margin." So it does seem MCAS is closely related to protecting the plane from entering a stall scenario.

The pilot goes on with an interesting comment: "Boeing contends that the standard runaway stabilizer trim procedure is valid; this is not entirely true, since the first step in that procedure is to firmly oppose the control column forces, using the column cutout switches to disable the runaway. However, all of us flying the bird know exactly where the master trim cutout switches are, and I guarantee that at the first indication of an MCAS malfunction, those switches will be shut off in a nanosecond."

It seems here that there is no clear way to clear way to disable the MCAS in the event of a failure. Am I reading this right?

I think this is a very important debate regarding human machine interaction. But I hate conducting it while the actual causes of these accidents are speculative.

Think how foolish all this talk will sound if the final report cites a cause that has nothing to do with MCAS or trim or handling or FBW or autopilot. It reminds me of TWA 800.

I was researching a bit about AI and commercial flight, thinking about the lack of a good interface / verbal / visual feedback to the pilot from MCAS or other systems.
There is an interesting article I came across by wired here: https://www.wired.com/2017/03/ai-wields-power-make-flying-safer-maybe-even-pleasant/

Autopilots ace basic piloting tasks in non-emergency conditions, but outside the straight and level stuff, they suffer.

It seems existing autopilots are fairly limited in the scenarios they can deal with and engineers are looking to AI to build better more robust systems.

My interest however as I alluded to earlier in the thread, is less in making a better autopilot or smarter automated systems, which of course is a necessary development. But instead in AI taking a role in communicating to the pilot the current status of the vehicle, both in a emergency and non-emergency scenarios. This would help ease the information overload burden on the pilot, especially as more and more complex systems are added to the airplane like MCAS. The article seems to suggest this somewhat:

Baomar wants to build an AI-based autopilot that can respond reliably and correctly to whatever's happening, while ensuring the human in the cockpit knows what’s going on.

It closes on this point, which seems relevant to our thread:

Assuming these systems someday clear those regulatory hurdles and roll out to commercial airlines, they could provide a stepping stone between the eras of human pilots and what comes next. The days of stick-and-rudder piloting are rapidly fading as cockpit automation ramps up, and the benefits of flying absent the threat of human fallibility might prove too appealing to resist.

But getting there is half the battle, and the in-between period, with some automation going on and some manual control, will need to be deftly controlled to ensure that pilots can still manage their aircraft well. AI could prove invaluable to plugging that gap.

anorlunda said:
I think this is a very important debate regarding human machine interaction. But I hate conducting it while the actual causes of these accidents are speculative.

Think how foolish all this talk will sound if the final report cites a cause that has nothing to do with MCAS or trim or handling or FBW or autopilot. It reminds me of TWA 800.

I think no matter how both investigations come out, the discussions we are having in this thread will still be very relevant. The overwhelming thesis of this thread is the dynamic between the automated systems and how those are communicated to the pilot, both during flight in feedback and made aware to the pilot via training or accurate bulletins before flight. Further, the ability for the pilot to circumvent these systems easily and whether or not that is continuing to be feasible as these aircraft become more and more dependent on autonomous or fly-by-wire systems. I think those issues are very relevant even if MCAS wasn't at fault.

cyboman said:
Is the AMT what looks like flaps on the elevators?
No. The AMT is the whole horizontal tail airfoil. There is an axle that runs down the middle of the airfoil from the plane fuselage to the tip of the tail airfoil, and if you look at the leading edge of the tail airfoil there is a slot in the fuselage for the moving front support. You can see marks painted on the fuselage at the leading edge showing three AMT angles (probably nominal, max up and max down).

cyboman said:
I think those issues are very relevant even if MCAS wasn't at fault.
I agree with that. I just prefer to see them in a thread that is not linked to a recent accident.

berkeman said:
The AMT is the whole horizontal tail airfoil.
Check out this video. You can see the AMT on these F-14 fighter aircraft during takeoff and landings and other maneuvers. See the land-based takeoff at the beginning of the video, and the carrier launches at 3:00, and the carrier landing at 0:55. Feel free to enjoy the rest of the video as well... :smile:

berkeman said:
Check out this video. You can see the AMT on these F-14 fighter aircraft during takeoff and landings and other maneuvers. See the land-based takeoff at the beginning of the video, and the carrier launches at 3:00, and the carrier landing at 0:55. Feel free to enjoy the rest of the video as well... :smile:

Weird, I just watched this movie for the first time a few days ago. A little cheesy and definitely a Navy recruitment video in some ways, but it has some really amazing flight and carrier footage and a neat sci-fi premise.

I see the AMT fluctuating at 0.55. Is that under computer control or is that the pilot or a mixture?

anorlunda said:
I agree with that. I just prefer to see them in a thread that is not linked to a recent accident.

I understand your sentiment. Let's keep in mind that while the incidents raise these concerns and inquiries, they are not closed cases, and while there is some compelling initial evidence that implies there is something wrong with the plane, it's definitely not conclusive. Whether the aircraft is at fault or not, no one should be prematurely assigning any culpability.

Likes Klystron
Nik_2213 said:
All 737 Max grounded !

To clarify, I don't think it was the data from the FDR. It seems unclear whether the FAA did this from public pressure and optics or it is in fact from the same data Canada received about the plane altitude during the flight via satellite. The odd thing to me is that I saw the graphs for the erratic rate of decent and climb almost immediately after the crash, which would show the similarity to Lion Air. Perhaps the satellite data confirmed this previous early data or perhaps indeed it was more about optics.

cyboman said:
Is that under computer control or is that the pilot or a mixture?

On the F-14 that would be pilot control. The F-14 never got any kind of fly-by-wire. They're all out of service now; I believe the F/A-18, which is the Navy's main jet aircraft now, does have some fly-by-wire controls with computer software involved.

Likes Klystron
cyboman said:
It seems here that there is no clear way to clear way to disable the MCAS in the event of a failure. Am I reading this right?

Not as far as I know. As I understand it, the "master trim cutout switch" referred to disables all automatic trim control, including MCAS. What the pilot is saying is that, now that pilots know about the risks involved with MCAS, at the first sign of any anomaly, instead of going through the steps Boeing says, which they don't trust to actually be effective, they're just going to disable automatic trim control entirely and adjust it by hand, since that way they know what they're dealing with.

Likes russ_watters
Nik_2213 said:
All 737 Max grounded !

It looks like indeed the early information was radar / land based. The new information that lead to Canada and then the FAA grounding the plane was from satellite data from Aireon. Not sure why the early radar data wasn't enough when other authorities felt it was, probably multiple factors involved, but it's safe to say it doesn't look good on Canada or the FAA to not lead on this.

cyboman said:
t does seem MCAS is closely related to protecting the plane from entering a stall scenario.

Only in the sense that it is giving the pilots the feedback, through the stick force, about how close the plane is to a stall, that the pilots are used to from previous 737 models. The point of MCAS is that without it, the stick force feedback as a function of angle of attack would be different from what the pilots were used to, so they might misjudge how close to a stall they were.

PeterDonis said:
Only in the sense that it is giving the pilot the feedfback

Is it not also adjusting the pitch in addition to providing feedback?

cyboman said:
Is it not also adjusting the pitch in addition to providing feedback?

They aren't two separate things. Giving the feedback means adding more nose down trim, which, if the pilot does not compensate by increasing the force he uses on the yoke, will pitch the nose down. Any adjustment of trim does the same thing: it changes the force the pilot needs to exert on the yoke to maintain a particular pitch attitude.

PeterDonis said:
Not as far as I know. As I understand it, the "master trim cutout switch" referred to disables all automatic trim control, including MCAS. What the pilot is saying is that, now that pilots know about the risks involved with MCAS, at the first sign of any anomaly, instead of going through the steps Boeing says, which they don't trust to actually be effective, they're just going to disable automatic trim control entirely and adjust it by hand, since that way they know what they're dealing with.

This is somewhat confusing. The pilot commenting also says:

Second, for obvious reasons, the control column cutout switches do not disable MCAS, which is different from a runaway stabilizer. In that case, simply opposing the control column force kills the trim motor. There wouldn’t be much point in having the MCAS if the control column switches could disable it.

Is he not implying that MCAS is not effected by the bypass cutouts? When he says "trim motor" is he saying that if the pilot opposes the force by pulling on the yoke it disables MCAS? This seems like it couldn't of been the case looking at what we know from the flight data available. It's pretty clear the pilots were fighting against the pitch down maneuvering by the computer. And we see MCAS continuing to pitch down in spite of continued pilot input.

PeterDonis said:
They aren't two separate things. Giving the feedback means adding more nose down trim, which, if the pilot does not compensate by increasing the force he uses on the yoke, will pitch the nose down. Any adjustment of trim does the same thing: it changes the force the pilot needs to exert on the yoke to maintain a particular pitch attitude.

Wait but then are they not indeed completely correlated and not separate? MCAS adding more nose down trim provides the feedback and also literally is pitching the nose down. It provides feedback, but it also effects the actual pitch / attitude of the plane.

<h2>What is the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system?</h2><p>The Boeing 737 Max MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System) is a flight control system designed to automatically adjust the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer in certain situations to prevent the plane from stalling.</p><h2>What caused the issues with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system?</h2><p>The issues with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system were caused by faulty sensor data, which triggered the system to erroneously activate and push the aircraft's nose down, leading to two fatal crashes.</p><h2>How has the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system been fixed?</h2><p>The Boeing 737 Max MCAS system has been updated with additional safety features, including using data from two sensors instead of one, limiting the system's ability to repeatedly push the nose down, and providing more training for pilots.</p><h2>Is the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system safe now?</h2><p>The updated Boeing 737 Max MCAS system has been deemed safe by aviation authorities and has undergone rigorous testing and certification processes. However, some concerns and criticisms still remain.</p><h2>What impact has the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system had on the aviation industry?</h2><p>The issues with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system have had a significant impact on the aviation industry, leading to the grounding of the aircraft and causing financial losses for airlines. It has also raised questions about the safety and regulation of new technology in the aviation industry.</p>

What is the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system?

The Boeing 737 Max MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System) is a flight control system designed to automatically adjust the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer in certain situations to prevent the plane from stalling.

What caused the issues with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system?

The issues with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system were caused by faulty sensor data, which triggered the system to erroneously activate and push the aircraft's nose down, leading to two fatal crashes.

How has the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system been fixed?

The Boeing 737 Max MCAS system has been updated with additional safety features, including using data from two sensors instead of one, limiting the system's ability to repeatedly push the nose down, and providing more training for pilots.

Is the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system safe now?

The updated Boeing 737 Max MCAS system has been deemed safe by aviation authorities and has undergone rigorous testing and certification processes. However, some concerns and criticisms still remain.

What impact has the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system had on the aviation industry?

The issues with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system have had a significant impact on the aviation industry, leading to the grounding of the aircraft and causing financial losses for airlines. It has also raised questions about the safety and regulation of new technology in the aviation industry.