Boeing Boeing unvails new technologies in the sky

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date

Pengwuino

Gold Member
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8117

Not only have the passengers been allowed to use cellphones in flight – not dreadful in itself perhaps – but the plane is stuffed with the latest technology, all potentially interfering with the plane’s electronics. Wi-Fi transmitters pepper the ceiling and live television and internet signals are being delivered through a 1-metre-wide satellite dish in the top of the plane.

Boeing was demonstrating two of the technologies it thinks will make flying more fun. The plane – Connexion One – is the company’s in-flight entertainment test aircraft, and New Scientist was hitching a ride.

Boeing's entertainment wish-list includes a technology it began rolling out to airlines on Friday: delivering live satellite TV news to passengers’ laptops via an onboard Wi-Fi connection
Well that about does it. I never want to fly in my lifetime.

I've read something similar about Airbus Industries' plan to allow cell phones for flights. What I remember reading is that while it would now be OK'd by the manufacturer, it's still going to be the airline's decision whether or not you can use your cell phone in the air.

Just think about it: businessmen talking on their cell phones the whole flight, hyper loud teenagers yapping to their friends, making it no longer possible to take a nap because of all the noise. Even if it were like this, I'm sure the airlines would quickly change their minds after seeing how bad it really would be. If airlines know anything about customer needs, they will not allow such chaos.