When Will the Boeing 787 Finally Take Flight?

• Boeing
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the 787 is a new type of aircraft that is made of composite materials. It has many new features that make it different from other airplanes, and it is hoped that it will be a success. The flight test process was delayed by two years, but everything is now going according to plan. I'm nervous about the possibility of problems, but I'm also excited for this new airplane.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Finally! It is two years late.

It is supposed to fly from Everett to Seattle right about now. This has a direct impact on my income so this is great news for me personally as well as everyone at Boeing.

Physics news on Phys.org
CNN is providing live coverage. It is taxiing right now.

Funny [I hope] but I am actually nervous. Of course it would be terrible if there were signficant problems.

There she gooooooes! woohoooo!

Wow, it's big! And it is beautiful. Hope everything goes well on its maiden flight.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Finally! It is two years late.

It is supposed to fly from Everett to Seattle right about now. This has a direct impact on my income so this is great news for me personally as well as everyone at Boeing.

Direct impact for me as well. The 787 will keep us in projects for years to come.

There is so much that can go wrong, and if nothing goes wrong, then somethings wrong...

I've got knots in my stomach. I can only imagine how the guys at the runway feel.

The test pilots are most relaxed people in the program. But they are crazy.

These airport delays are getting out of hand. This flight was two years late.

jimmysnyder said:

In this case better late than never. :)

drankin said:
Direct impact for me as well. The 787 will keep us in projects for years to come.

You, me, an army of suppliers and vendors, as well as the Boeing employees. In the otherwise bleak world of manufacturing, this a very good day.

jimmysnyder said:

Slow too. Five hours to get to an airport forty miles away.

This video from 2007 briefly discusses the financial and technical challenges of the 787. Today is considered to be historic for Boeing and the airline industry generally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7PxH0-eT_0

Takeoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fucq5BoEfEI

Yeah!

Observation: The chase plane wasn't exactly in the safest location, wingtip vortex-wise! Would have been tragic to get off the ground only to loose a wingtip...

mugaliens said:
Yeah!

Observation: The chase plane wasn't exactly in the safest location, wingtip vortex-wise! Would have been tragic to get off the ground only to loose a wingtip...

If it did I'd say Boeing got the curse of North American Aviation when they bought it up. Airship 2 of the XB-70 project was lost to a wingtip vortex accident.

I wonder if it is the angles of the cameras but the wings of the 787 look like they are turned up fairly high

Man, those wings sure were bending in that video!

Cyrus said:

I noticed that too... must be a very comfy ride on the inside :smile:

It's quite amazing to see how far we've come in my opinion...

Cyrus said:

In structural testing, they pulled those wings up and together until they snapped, prematurely. That was one of the major delays. They had to do a massive modification. This was only a few months ago.

My prediction is that the 787s are going to have a lottttt of problems with delamination of all that composite materials. Private jets are having those problems now. Get into the carbon-fiber repair business for airlines and you'll be a rich man.

In the first video it is stated something like "plastic means no fatigue" - how true is it? I mean - I can easily believe material properties will change at different speed, but "no fatigue" sounds like an exaggeration.

Cyrus said:
My prediction is that the 787s are going to have a lottttt of problems with delamination of all that composite materials. Private jets are having those problems now. Get into the carbon-fiber repair business for airlines and you'll be a rich man.

I'm sure they have test data for every composite component.

Boeing puts every component through several life cycles in testing. Their standards are above the private jet manufacturers in my experience.

I'm more concerned about it's ability to withstand lighting strikes. The composite cannot conduct around the airframe like the typical aluminum airframe. According to our senior electrical engineer the wire mesh "bus" system is the most sophisticated part of the aircraft. I'm curious as to how THAT was tested.

drankin said:
I'm sure they have test data for every composite component.

Boeing puts every component through several life cycles in testing. Their standards are above the private jet manufacturers in my experience.

I'm more concerned about it's ability to withstand lighting strikes. The composite cannot conduct around the airframe like the typical aluminum airframe. According to our senior electrical engineer the wire mesh "bus" system is the most sophisticated part of the aircraft. I'm curious as to how THAT was tested.

I have not been following this airplane too closely, but apart from being composite, why is this thing special? How does its performance look like compared to a similar airplane?

My guess is that its only 5-10% more efficient...<YAWN>. Someone build that damn blended wing body airliner already! They all look like the same ole B-707 from 1960!

bn707.jpg

Johnson, they want a new airplane! "Ok boss, well take off two of the engines and rebrand it!"

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787/images/K63965-03_lg.jpg [Broken]

In 50 years, this is all we can do?...errr. The older one had stiffer wings. The 707 is a much prettier airplane IMO. Hell, it was the airplane that defined the "jet age."

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
I have not been following this airplane too closely, but apart from being composite, why is this thing special? How does its performance look like compared to a similar airplane?

My guess is that its only 5-10% more efficient...<YAWN>. Someone build that damn blended wing body airliner already! They all look like the same ole B-707 from 1960!

It's like Windows7, it's new, looks newer, higher "tech", has bigger... windows. If you don't have it your competitors will. Other than that, it's just more expensive and keeps the money moving in the industry.

Oh, and it's "green"er.

drankin said:
Oh, and it's "green"er.

They changed its color?

On pictures it looks blue.

So what really are the advantages of the 787?

According to Boeing it will use up to 20% fuel less plus it will be much quieter than other planes.

I've flown a few times now in the new A380's and they are a dream! So quiet and smooth compared to anything else I've flown it. I'm very far from an expert in the aviation field, but Airbus seem to have gotten such a first mover advantage from the A380; the Dreamliner will have to be pretty special to out-do it.

Wallace said:
I've flown a few times now in the new A380's and they are a dream! So quiet and smooth compared to anything else I've flown it. I'm very far from an expert in the aviation field, but Airbus seem to have gotten such a first mover advantage from the A380; the Dreamliner will have to be pretty special to out-do it.

I'm pretty sure it already has... I remember seeing something like 900 Boeings were already ordered. The most for any aircraft.

Do you know any figures about how many A380's have been bought/ordered by comparison?

Wallace said:
Do you know any figures about how many A380's have been bought/ordered by comparison?

The figure was actually 840 ordered for Boeing. A380 in comparison to date has 202.

EDIT: Reason that it is lower than what I said before I suppose is due to the delays, it was at 910.

Thay are not easily comparable, as they are targeted at different markets. Or perhaps at different philosophies of air transport.

Ah okay, I had though they were essentially direct competitors. Is the Dreamliner aimed at smaller, shorter flights than the A380?

Ivan Seeking said:
This has a direct impact on my income so this is great news for me personally as well as everyone at Boeing.

And for a lot of people here in South Carolina. Boeing is going to build a second assembly plant for the 787 near Charleston.

Borek said:
According to Boeing it will use up to 20% fuel less plus it will be much quieter than other planes.

Notice the chevrons on the jet nozzle. That is very state-of-the-art right now with a lot of work being to done to understand exactly how they even work. For acoustic reasons btw.

Also, did anyone notice as the plane flew over the camera, the change in perspective gave the eerie illusion that the wings were being swept back?

p.s. As far as the differences between the 707 and 787. Well the 707 was like a 180 passenger airline, where the 787 is almost twice that. Sure, similar shape, way different scale. Lots of difference there.

Wallace said:
Ah okay, I had though they were essentially direct competitors. Is the Dreamliner aimed at smaller, shorter flights than the A380?

I think A380 is more aimed at the idea of large hubs supported by local networks of short flies, while Dreamliner is aimed more at the peer-to-peer type of airport network. But I can be wrong.

minger said:
Notice the chevrons on the jet nozzle. That is very state-of-the-art right now with a lot of work being to done to understand exactly how they even work. For acoustic reasons btw.
I thought the 787 only had secondary nozzle chevrons because of the large bypass ratio. I can't tell from the videos that Ivan linked to.

minger said:
Also, did anyone notice as the plane flew over the camera, the change in perspective gave the eerie illusion that the wings were being swept back?
I always thought they were! I thought they were going with a kind of hybrid delta wing configuration. I never looked into it though.

minger said:
p.s. As far as the differences between the 707 and 787. Well the 707 was like a 180 passenger airline, where the 787 is almost twice that. Sure, similar shape, way different scale. Lots of difference there.
Lower emissions, greater range with less fuel consumption, quieter (in both the cabin and surrounding areas).

<h2>1. When was the original launch date for the Boeing 787?</h2><p>The original launch date for the Boeing 787 was May 2008.</p><h2>2. Why has the Boeing 787 been delayed so many times?</h2><p>The Boeing 787 has faced numerous delays due to various technical issues and supply chain problems.</p><h2>3. What is the current scheduled launch date for the Boeing 787?</h2><p>The current scheduled launch date for the Boeing 787 is November 2021, after multiple delays and setbacks.</p><h2>4. How many test flights have been conducted for the Boeing 787?</h2><p>As of July 2021, the Boeing 787 has completed over 3,000 test flights.</p><h2>5. What are the major features and improvements of the Boeing 787?</h2><p>The Boeing 787 boasts many new features and improvements, including a more fuel-efficient design, larger windows, and improved cabin air quality.</p>

1. When was the original launch date for the Boeing 787?

The original launch date for the Boeing 787 was May 2008.

2. Why has the Boeing 787 been delayed so many times?

The Boeing 787 has faced numerous delays due to various technical issues and supply chain problems.

3. What is the current scheduled launch date for the Boeing 787?

The current scheduled launch date for the Boeing 787 is November 2021, after multiple delays and setbacks.

4. How many test flights have been conducted for the Boeing 787?

As of July 2021, the Boeing 787 has completed over 3,000 test flights.

5. What are the major features and improvements of the Boeing 787?

The Boeing 787 boasts many new features and improvements, including a more fuel-efficient design, larger windows, and improved cabin air quality.