Boeing Boeing's 787 flies today!

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Who said I have a 'wind-tunnel expert'? I never said any such thing. In addition, did I not give you a source with a graph of the evolution of performance over the last 40 years of aircraft. If you have trouble interpreting it, let me know. If you have data that shows otherwise, please provide it as I would be interested in seeing it.
Again, one chart and a silly equation that you are saying debunks a 15+ million dollar aircraft program. Yeah, right.

And thats exactly the wrong mindset if you want to come up with revolutionary, and not evolutionary aircraft designs. Thank you for making my point.
And this comes from your vast experience in industry and in getting designs to the marketplace or your parroting of one person's technical opinion?

Again, one chart and a silly equation that you are saying debunks a 15+ million dollar aircraft program. Yeah, right.

And this comes from your vast experience in industry and in getting designs to the marketplace or your parroting of one person's technical opinion?
Are you going to provide me with data that shows where this airplane is "spectacular"? I'm waiting.

I think you can take a lot from the early team at skunk works, who designed things to be great, not to make money. As a result, they build fast, cheap, amazing airplanes under budget and under time. Meanwhile, you're happy about 20% increases in performance? ......while being 2 years delayed?........

That "silly equation" is quite important. I suggest you look at it harder and interpret what it means.

Last edited:

turbo

Gold Member
I think you can take a lot from the early team at skunk works, who designed things to be great, not to make money. As a result, they build fast, cheap, amazing airplanes under budget and under time. Meanwhile, you're happy about 5% increases in performance? ......
A friend's father was involved in the design and implementation of the Blackbird. If you think that plane was cheap, you might need a refresher course in economics.

A friend's father was involved in the design and implementation of the Blackbird. If you think that plane was cheap, you might need a refresher course in economics.
By cheap, I mean within its designated budget. If I want a lesson in economics, I'll read an economics book. :wink:

All right you two, go away! I have to do work. I'll continue this discussion tomorrow. :smile:

PSS: Boeing has yet to verify its performance claims via flight testing yet. I'll be interested to see the real data.

turbo

Gold Member
All right you two, go away! I have to do work. I'll continue this discussion tomorrow. :smile:
I'm still here. Dream up some justifications for your attacks against Boeing in the meantime. It will make tomorrow's frigid (0-15 deg) day a little more entertaining.

I'm still here. Dream up some justifications for your attacks against Boeing in the meantime. It will make tomorrow's frigid (0-15 deg) day a little more entertaining.
Go away, I have a final tomorrow. Leave me be to study! I promise I will thrash you all day tomorrow. :wink:

I fly a lot and I don't want to step into some crazy state-of-the-art weird shaped plane. I want tried and true reliability.
Interesting comment, as this airplane is neither tried nor true for reliability.

turbo

Gold Member
Interesting comment, as this airplane is neither tried nor true for reliability.
Interesting viewpoint, since incremental improvements in previously certified and proven-safe aircraft seem to have served us well. Perhaps you have a better model????

russ_watters

Mentor
7 pages of fanboydom in two days? C'mon, guys, it's an airplane, not a video card.

Locked pending moderation/cleanup.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving